PROVIDIAN - my security blanket

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jsever, Aug 29, 2001.

1. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

Ok, ok. Trials and tribulations. I've posted trials, now the tribulations (small as they are). I called Providian (I have a Visa and a MasterCard) and (contrary to others) got an interest rate reduction from 19% to 16% on the Visa and from 23% to 19% on the MasterCard. That helps because I carry a balance. Then ... I got brave. Last night I went over my statements and realized I had paid 2 $99 fees for credit increases. These were months ago but for recent increases I have had them waived (thanks to the info from people here). Anyway, I told the rep that I had paid these charges for increases however my statement only reflected a .07 cent credit (referring to the settlement; more than some got I admit). He (stuttered [not that there's anything wrong with that]) suggested that I write a letter to their customer correspondence department regarding this. Has anyone else had older line increase fees credited?

2. Maer

Maer Well-Known Member

I just received an offer of 1,000.00 for 49.00. I called to see if I could get it waived and they said they didn't do that. I asked for a supervisor, who was quite snotty, she said the same thing.
    However, also today, I received a letter from Providian about my other account. They had given me a 2,000.00 increase, no charge. Of course, this account is much older.
    Are you serious that you only received .07 cents. I have not received anything, and I'm not sure if I will. I thought they were supposed to give you a free credit limit increase of a couple hundred dollars or something.

3. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Maer

Try Planetfeedback. The response I got from the executive offices at Providian for my Visa account was completely different than what the customer service reps could do for me when I called (nothing).

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

NOBODY ANSWERED THIS QUESTION LAST TIME...how do they get away with charging for a credit line increase?
    Is it a fee or interest?
    IF IT IS INTEREST, IT IS ABOUT 59% INTEREST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WOULDN'T PAY $4.00...BUT THAT IS ME...

5. Maer

Maer Well-Known Member

I don't have the offer with me wright now but I'm quite sure they stated it was a fee. Apparently they are allowed to charge it. The problem with their lawsuit is that for some people their account agreement states no fee, or a 12.00 fee or something like that. Then they charged 49.00. I'm not real clear on the whole thing but that was the jist of it