providian not giving me credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by b golden, Aug 16, 2000.

1. b golden

b golden Guest

I've been with Providian since February 2000 and I have paid early, more than enough, and not gone over my credit limit. I have spoken to them about my increase and they tell me it is computer generated. Which I am tired of hearing. I wonder what is takening so long? Oh well maybe in another month or two. Tell me how long it took you to get your increase. Thanks:)

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: providian not giving me cr

a whole six months and no increase yet!!!!???
    tear up the card!

seriously-- you need to be a little more patient. Providian is not stingy about credit line increases but it is not unreasonable to wait 6-12 months on a new account before you get one from any card company.

3. BarryN - C

BarryN - C Guest

Yeah Dave is right. My guess is you'll hear about it in September.

Good Luck,

BarryN

4. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Strange...
    I've got my card since January 2000 and
    i have already had 2 increases, every 3
    months...
    Did you do something bad on your other accounts? They check your credit report
    every time they increase the limit

5. b golden

b golden Guest

I have 1 bad item on equifax, 2 bad on trans union and 8 bad on experian. These are all chargeoffs from 95. Just this February I reestablished my credit with a car loan and Providian. I have definitely learned my lesson on credit so I am very carefully with making my payments early and more than the minimum. Maybe it could be inquiries, I applied for another car loan in may which I didnt take, and I have also established some new accounts with cap 1, 1st prem, chevron, and direct merchants bank. I'm not applying for anymore. I think I have enough to build on, and besides the offers arent that good. I'm sure my fico score is down because of the inquiries. I have signed up with Junum. So I will see what they do for me and establish these accounts and hopefully I will be in the Prime world before I know it.:)

6. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Providian hasn't increased your limit by now. They usually love to keep you as far in debt as possible, but it's still a bit soon to be antsy. Normally, you won't have to request limit increases with them. They'll either make you an offer for a fee, or they'll increase it automatically.

Hang in there! You've got a good attitude, and it looks as though you're doing all the right things. You'll be up to your a-s-s in prime debt before you know it! ;-)

7. CardReport

CardReport Guest

I think they say that they review every six months for possible increases. But for a new account, wait at least 8 or 9 months for the first one.

They are good with increases, (as long as your payment history with them is good), but there may be a few extra weeks of processing time after they do the reviews.

If you go for more than about 9-12 months without an increase, and your payments have been perfect, and your balance is low, write to them and request a review. Credit card issuers try to discourage this, because they don't want to be flooded with requests from desperate customers (who probably aren't good prospects for increases.) But it *can* work, at least some of the time.

Remember that, by definition, good credit is about your behavior over *time*.

Good Luck.

--
    CardReport.Com - Credit Tools, News, And Reference
    http://www.cardreport.com/
    Everything You Need To Know About Credit And Debt
    --

8. Moms

Moms Guest

What card is yours? I have had ARIA from Providian for well over a year, never late and they started me at 5K, also my husband too and neither one of us has gotten one increase. I call and they give me the computer line too??

9. FISH

FISH Guest

They are great at giving increases. The first one is about 6 to 9 months. After that they review every 4 months and most of the time increase by a thousand. Just be patient and you will be in more debt than you want

10. b golden

b golden Guest

I have the visa classic. They started me at 500.00. I also ask for an upgrade and they said they could not give me one at this time. So, maybe another month or two.

11. Learning o

Learning o Guest

Dear b golden,

Trust me when I say, you will NEVER be golden as long as you have the credit card companies hand in your pocket. Only THEY will be golden! Cut up your cards, pay them off, and then invest that amount of money each month that you used to pay the credit card companies. Being in "the prime world" as you phrased it, just gets you in deeper.

12. b golden

b golden Guest

Yes, this is true. Email me and give me some investment advice, trying to learn about that too.:)