Providian payment fees - the scoop

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MT, Sep 24, 2001.

1. MT

MT Well-Known Member

Here is the text from an email conversation I had with a providian rep via the getsmart website -

The fee for a PaySmart (check-by-phone) is being increased to $9.95. This fee allows us to continue to expand the availability of the pay-by-phone service to our customers and to cover administrative costs of this program. If you expect to use this service frequently, we encourage you to sign up for the automatic monthly service we now have in place, which has no fee.

There will continue to be no fee to make a payment online. This service is free to all Providian cardholders. We apologize for any confusion.

If you have further questions or would like additional information, please e-mail us through our secure Contact Center or you may also call our Customer Service Department toll-free at 1-888-273-2273. Representatives are available anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thank you for choosing GetSmart Visa.

Sincerely,

GetSmart Visa Customer Service Representative

2. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

thanks for pointing this out mt...

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

The exact text from the notice of change in terms:

I don't trust them, LOL.

4. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

it sure does! in writing!
    c ya dogman

5. MT

MT Well-Known Member

This is crazy. I'm going to wait for my statement. Since they sent the message to me on the getsmart account email thing, I have the message that I WILL hold over their head (or try to anyway).

6. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

MT - Here is clarification....

Your email from the GetSmart Rep said:

There will continue to be no fee to make a payment online. Thanks Providian Rep! Until when? For how long? Etc? This is an undefined email...

The legal language ALLOWS THEM (Providian) TO CHARGE $9.95 AT ANY TIME. Consider that the legal notice they needed to provide has now been delivered.

So, our polite CSR simply told us CORRECTLY, that as of 11:38 am, they do not charge this fee.

GREAT - BUT - the (terms) master contract language would have precedence over any email from a CSR.

It is clear Providian didn't just bring this up in case they wanted to implement in 2009! Their business and stock values are off 30%!

Amazing how even their most SUB sub-prime customers do not feel like spending money lately, and are not appreciative of being BLED - just by trying to pay the bill!

c ya dogman

7. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Re: MT - Here is clarification....

Excellent post, Dogman. You are absolutely correct...

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Thanks Marci - hope you are well :) Dogman

9. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Thank you. I am well. I hope the same for you, too. :)

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Maybe we should all login and email CS to ask for clarification :)