Providian Question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike2, Oct 22, 2000.

1. Mike2

Mike2 Well-Known Member

I have a charge-off from Providian from 97 that I need to deal with somehow. A collection agency recently wrote me about it and offered to settle for 50%. I don't want to settle, what I'd like to do would be to either negotiate for the deletion of the mark, or to get the old balance, which is minor ($350), added to a new card, which I will then pay off. Does anyone know if they have a history of making these sorts of deals? If I can get rid of this I am close to a clean slate by next spring. And would someone PLEASE tell BMB to report to the CRA's. 9 months now with nary a mention on any of my three reports.

2. Mike2

Mike2 Well-Known Member

Oooops....make that DMB...Direct Merchant's Bank. A frustrating bank to say the least.

3. Alex - Cre

Alex - Cre Guest

I would give Providian a call and negotiate with them, it's always better to deal with the original creditor, also if your current credit card is not reporting to the CRA's switch to one that does, there are plenty that do report, even secured or partially secured cards that report to the CRA's as unsecured.

If you need help email me.

Good luck to you!

Regards,
    Alex
    Info@Creditinsiders.com
    http://www.CreditInsiders.com

4. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

I got my Experian and Equifax reports on Thursday, and DMB is now there. It wasn't on my TU on Sept 16th.

I've had my MasterCard since Dec 98. When I first read here that they would start reporting, I emailed DMB to see if it was true (yes). Count me as one of those who would rather have a 'hidden' account, but since they lowered my APR to 13.74, I guess I'll just have to deal with it ;)

5. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

Hi JacquiG..
    When They lowered your APR did you Request it . I did and they lowered it to 19.7 .. I've also had the card for almost 2 years . Did you have a high balance at the time ?? . Cus i did and that dosn't give much leaverage in negotating the interest rate. Let us know the Detials ?

6. T

T Guest

I'm assuming that you are talking about DMB, not providian. I had DMB for a little over 1 year. I had my APR lowered to 10.5%. I just called them to match an offer for one of my cards that had a 9.9%, but the best they could do was 10.5%. Not bad. They report only to Equifax and Experian. They do not report to Trans Union. Hope this helps.

7. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

THAT'S REAL INTERESTING ..
    i DIDN'T HAVE AN OFFER THAT THEY COULD MATCH, BUT 10.5 IS VERY DECENT . IF I HAD AN OFFER LIKE THAT I'D DEFINATLY GIVE THEM A CALL, BUT UNFORTUNATLY I DON'T... MAYBE I CAN MAKE IT UP . LOL .. THANKX FOR THE INFO ..

8. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

DMB

Actually, I called to cancel the card because of the high rate. It wasn't even a ploy to get the APR reduced. THEY offered me 13.74; it was lower than I expected. Check my post from Oct 5 (I think) for the story.

9. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

RE: DMB

ah ok that will do it .. :)