Providian Question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Frank, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Frank

Frank Guest

How do you guys with Providian get a lower apr? I paid $78 in interest last month on my 4k Providian card! I can't take this at all! My apr is 23.99. I was told by a retention rep I should have gotten a lower apr by now, since my account has been opened for 17 months and my history is great, but I currently only qualify for a 21 percent apr.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. zip

zip Well-Known Member

i called retention and told them i was closing account because i had better offers, told her i liked the card but was crazy to keep it with lower card offers. they dropped it to 16.9 on both my cards! also gave me a 1000.00 increase on one of my cards

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I have had a Providian account at 23.99% for almost four years. They never offered to lower the rate, and I never knew how easy it was to call and ask. When I did call last month, they lowered it to 19.8%, telling me they did the reductions in steps. I suspect if I had been calling all throughout the history of my account I would be at their lowest rate by now. As it is, they said I should call back in three months and I would likely qualify for the next lower step.

You'll probably need to bear with it for a while longer and then just call them. I have the three month date listed in my dayplanner to remind me to give them another try.

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

If you pay off the card, and keep doing so , they may be more likely to work with you on interest rate. But if you are carrying a balance and they are making out like a fat-pig on interest, why would they want to shoot themselves in the foot on their bread and butter customers.

Makes sense huh?