Providian - Rehabilitation

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Donna, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone.

Well, I've been thinking about presenting my situation with Providian for several months now and I've decided to just take a big gulp and do it.

A couple years back, when I was in the throws of my financial crisis, I had a card with Providian. There was a point where I became 90 days delinquent. (This wasn't a good card to mess up on, I know...no card ever is but especially this one...But for a three-month period there, I just couldn't pay anything.) During the third month, I saw that my financial situation was loosening up a bit and I called Providian to tell them that I would soon be catching up and I provided the date when I would send payment.

True to my word, when the appointed day came, I sent my payment into Providian. We're talking over $400 here. Yep, they wanted late fees, over-limit fees, interest, plus the three missed payments...before they would consider my account current. And To make them happy, I even sent the payment via Western Union and, from that point forth, I faithfully made payments, always more than the minimum, until the card was paid off.

You would think that my efforts would have made Providian happy but, apparently, they didn't. When I finished paying off the card, my account was closed and they refused to reopen it. One of the reps told me that I could have an account with them but it would have to be secured and I couldn't keep the original account number.

In addition to my paid chargeoff, Providian is the other credit cloud hanging over my head. I've disputed the 90-day late pay several times but it hasn't come off. Providian keeps verifying. Experian did delete the derogatory mark but I'm still stuck with it on Transunion and Equifax.

If I can't get the 90-day late removed, then I'd really like to rehabilitate my Providian account because I think it would look better on my credit reports. As I've said, though, the rep said no and I understand that. Providian has that right. But does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to sweet-talk them into changing their mind?

Honestly, I don't need the credit. My only reason for rehabilitating the account is so that it would look better on Transunion and Equifax. I haven't had any late pays with any company since my Providian fiasco. I did write to Providian a couple months back but never received a response. Since I did keep my promise to pay...and never missed a payment after that...I don't understand why they are being so hard-nosed.

Right now, I'm kind of stuck. I haven't been able to get the 90-day late off Equifax and Transunion but I'm also not in a position to get the account looking better on my reports. Providian's offer of a secured card is unacceptable. I don't want a new account with them. I simply want my old one rehabilitated.

Any thoughts or suggestions? What should be my next move? Do I have any other recourse?

Thanks for any help.

Donna