Providian Retention Results

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DaveLV, May 14, 2001.

1. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I got my MasterCard statement showing my zero balance for the last thirty days and I couldn't make myself wait to make the phone call to Providian retention that I was going to make in July.

Before just now, I had a Visa gold and a classic MasterCard with Providian. The Visa is a month shy of three years old and the MasterCard will be a year old in June. My limits were $7,849 on visa and $1,650 on MasterCard.

I called retention and asked for a grace period on my MasterCard. They said they'd review the account and then came back on the line and told me that I was eligible for an upgrade to gold MasterCard with a $1,000 credit line increase and a 25 day grace period.

I asked about my Visa account (APR lowered in March from 23.9% to 19.8%). I have ~ a $2,400 balance on this card and have been making large payments to pay it off for the last few months. My high balance in February was $4,700. The rep said they could lower my APR or give me a grace period. I picked the APR reduction from 19.8% to 15.9%.

So now I have Visa gold with $7,850 CL 15.9% APR and no grace period and MasterCard gold $2,650 CL and 19.8 APR.

I also asked about the smart card at the end of the call and was told that it was invitation only. I was not offered an "invitation" by the rep.

The last activity by retention on my accounts was a $1,000 credit increase on my MasterCard in January, a $1,000 credit increase on my Visa in March, and an APR reduction on both cards from 23.9 to 19.8 also in March. That seems to invalidate the hard and fast rule that all account changes happen at 120 day intervals.

In the next 60-90 days I should have the balance on my Visa paid and I will call again to request grace on that account. I figured since I am going to have a balance for awhile it would be stupid of me to pick a grace period over an APR reduction.

I am very happy with Providian today. I now have over $10,000 credit with them.

2. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I'm actually pretty excited about the gold MasterCard. I've been reading the gold level benefits on their website and it looks like there's a lot more of them on the gold MasterCard than on the gold Visa.

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I just looked at my statement b/c it came in the mail today. My APR is 23.99% for my providian visa. Dang!

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

23.99% THATS HIGHER THAN MY 22.49% FIRST USA....

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Roni, they must be in a good mood today. Call them quick!