Providian sent me an offer

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by greyfox, Jul 16, 2001.

1. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

to raise my credit limit for $2000, to $5400, for ONLY a modest fee of $99. Since I don't really need the increase, I guess I'll wait and see if they give it to me for free. I got the card in June 2000 so it's a little over a year.

I can remember, tho, what a thrill it was to get that first $1000 increase :) After dealing with Direct Merchants Bank, Providian was a jewel!

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I WOULDN'T PAY MORE THAN $0.34 FOR A CREDIT LINE INCREASE...

3. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with you about DMB.... THEY SUCK $hit...!!!!!!!!!

STAY AWAY FROM DMB.......!!!!!!!!!

MartysGirl

4. FeliceRodo

FeliceRodo Well-Known Member

GreyFox,

Congrats on the increase! 2k is a great increase. If you don't mind, would you say how you were maintaining your account? What was your balance to limit ratio, and how large percentage wise were your payments over the minimum each month? Did you do what your doing with your account all the time you had it opened?

Hope i can post my 2k increase someday!

5. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Would that be the price of a stamp to mail back the offer of a FREE increse?? :-D

6. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

Felice, I used my account a lot at first, and always paid 2-3 times the minimum, then when I was able, transferred balances to lower rate cards. I even used one of the checks they sent out, and just socked the money in the bank in an interest-bearing account, and then transferred it recently to a teaser rate of 0%.

I paid for the first increase and also paid for the MasterCard when I got the offer, just to build the credit. This has paid off for me in the way of prime offers recently. I also called customer service regularly, and have my interest rates on both accounts down to 16.9. Customer service told me a few days ago that in a couple of months, I could probably get below 14.9 on the interest rate.

As I have said before here, I keep my Providian accounts in good standing out of loyalty, and also because they keep the cash advance rate the same as the purchase rate. I look at that as an emergency option.

7. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

Greyfox, you MIGHT want to take the increase for $99 and then call retention and ask that it be refunded. I've done this twice with my $49 fee increases. Good luck if you go for it!

8. MT

MT Well-Known Member

I think I would just try and call for the increase without paying the fee period. Good luck.