Providian Smart Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DaveLV, Apr 4, 2001.

1. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have this? I was thinking of calling them today to ask if they would convert one of my accounts to this card. I have a Gold visa with a $7800 cl and a standard mastercard with an $1100 cl. I was going to ask them to convert the mastercard.

2. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

They contain a microchip with about 32k of memory. You get (or have to buy) a reader that attaches to your PC. With the reader, when you want to purchase something online, you insert the card and it can authenticate itself to a secure payment site without the need to type the number into a form. You can set it up so you physically need to have the card and posession of a PIN to perform a transaction.

You can also store information on the card's chip. You might have one card that is combination credit/debit/stored value card with stored value information tracked internally. The chip can also store other information such as mailing addresses, billing addresses reward point information or any other kind of data that might be useful or the card issuer sees fit to include.

3. am

am Guest

Sounds like a great way to track us even more than we are :)
    But, nonetheless, technology rocks.
    (I just bought a new digital camera Kodak DC4800 and it is awesome)