Providian - something good for once

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ShellyHS, May 23, 2001.

1. ShellyHS

ShellyHS New Member

Just a heads up...I've been trying for an increase for 2 months and I kept geting the run around..called again today and FINALLY the girl gave me a $1500 increase!

So, the 'everything is automatic, it's all up to the computers, we can't give increases' is BS.

Maybe the key is calling every couple of days and ask that it be explained because you just can't understand their damn policies..LOL

Perhaps they flag the account and you get the increase after calling 25 times.

Good Luck,
    Shelly

2. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Nice! I've never gotten more than 1K. Ok, background please...

How long has the acct been open?
    Opening credit line?
    Any increases on the account?
    Terms?
    Are you building or rebuilding???

Would like to learn their patterns :) thanks

3. zip

zip Well-Known Member

I have had my acct since 10/99. I started at 250.00 and now am up to 5050.00.It seems like every 4 months I get 200.00 then a 1000.00 offer for 49.00. If I call to complain about something they give me a 1000.00 increase and waive the 49.00. I put alot of purchases on it then pay it down.I have never requested an increase.

4. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I too have never gotten more than $1,000 a shot, except when I got my gold card. I think that increase was a little bit more.

5. CCMAN

CCMAN Member

providian sounds like they are good with increases, but what if you have a secured card??

6. R.

R. Well-Known Member

I don't know about the other posters, but my experience is with a secured card. From something like $600 with $500 on deposit to $6,210 with $500 + interest on deposit is my experience over 5 years. I never asked for an increase so I went slower than necessary, not that I knew any of this at the time.

7. ShellyHS

ShellyHS New Member

Marie,

To answer your questions:

How long has the acct been open?
    Since December of 1999

Opening credit line? I think it was $1000 or $1500..I don't recall

Any increases on the account?
    Yes...I received the standard $1000 for $49 (2 times actually..if i remember correctly),,,and a couple 'free' ones.. before my $1500 increase today, my limit was $3600

Terms? I called a couple of months ago and got my APR reduced from the 23.99% to 16.9%

Are you building or rebuilding???
    I guess rebuilding... we had a bankruptcy in March of 1998 and we were able to buy our house in March of 2000. I remember that I got providian quite easily.. responded to a mail solicitation.

Anything else? =o)

8. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

That's all :) As you can tell, I try to be thorough if not completely nosey :) Thanks, by the way!

I started w/only 500 in Nov99... There is a std pattern. Every 4 mos, without fail.

200 free increase
    1000 increase if I pay a fee (99) normally

I paid this once, then I got smart. Call up and complain when the offer is in effect, get the same increase w/no fee :) I wonder how long I can keep it up but I'm not paying for an increase ever again. What a scam. Did it once, glad I did. Never again though.

I always like to know what others are getting so I can compare methods to results. 1500 is NICE. Good for you :) Your credit must be a notch or two stronger than mine. Thanks again;)