Providian success

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by SCS, Apr 9, 2001.

1. SCS

SCS Guest

Hubby just informed me he was able to get Providian to lower his interest rate from 23.99% to 14.09%. I am still shocked. Has anyone gotten lower from them in one phone call?

also has anyone had their providian account closed (by them) and had it reopened at a later date?

scs

2. CrediDildo

CrediDildo Guest

You're lucky. They won't lower mine, even though I have called repeatedly.

I think you made this up, I really do. Nothing personal. My account is perfect for 17 months.

3. Shelly

Shelly Guest

I got providian to lower mine from 23.99% to 16.9% in one call. I'm not making this up. Had the account for 15 perfect months. You have to call the retention number.

4. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Me too. Got them to lower mine from 23.99 to 16.9 last month with one call.

I've hard perfect payments but I was over the limit once. I've also been maxed out for the last 6 months.

Try calling Providian retention directly. There are lots of folks here who have had success like this.

5. CrediDildo

CrediDildo Guest

I did call retention. Number is 800 215 7315. They offered me a 2 percent reduction, down to 21.99. I didn't take it, and I was told the credit line increase I accepted ($1500) reset the clock and 120 would have to pass for another look at my account.

Nuts.

6. SCS

SCS Guest

Why would I make this up? How long have you had your accounts? My husband had his for 19 months and just received $1000 increase last month. He told them he was happy with the company but the interest was too high. He also said he was getting much better offers from other banks. Why do you think that wouldn't work?

7. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I think it's been established that the lowest APR that has been granted from Providian is 16.9%. That's why people are questioning you. 14.09%?????? I would have to see a copy of the statement to believe it.

8. Saar

Saar Banned

I don't doubt SCS.

We had someone posting here a month ago saying a supervisor told him they'll soon be offering a 14-something APR. We've already seen one 15.9% rate (below the usual 16.9%).

Saar

9. SCS

SCS Guest

Thank you Saar. Believe what you want, all I know is we'll be enjoying a brand new lower apr.

10. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

SCS,

If its any condolence, I believe you. Especially with the recent fall in the fed rates by Greenspan and company. I wouldn't be surprised if they were offering lower than 14.09%. Best wishes.

Dani

11. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

My wife called two weeks ago and received 16.99% without even trying.

I think Providian is reacting to the marketplace, as Cap 1 has gotten very aggressive and the recent fines that Provd. has paid.

I have also noticed that the customer reps have become so damm sweet on the phone that is takes the fight out of me when I call to reduce or increase something. :cool:

Best regards,
    Sam

12. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

Providian will keep my business! I have a NextCard with a lower rate that I have transferred part of my balances to, but Providian allows me to access my entire balance as a cash advance. I have only used the cash advance for a small amount, but it gives me a sense of security knowing that there is $6500 available to me.

I have a Providian VISA and MC, and just made a phone call in which I suceeded in having the APR lowered on my VISA to match the 16.9 rate on my MC, and the rep gave me another $1000 credit line increase, free.

In exactly one year, I have gone from a $500 limit with 23.99 APR to a $6500 limit at 16.9 APR with Providian.

This record has helped in qualifying for a NextCard at 12.99 APR, and an offer for a pre-approved AMEX green, not to mention several pre-approved store card offers.

Thanks to this board, because I would have never known how to handle that first $500!

13. isana

isana New Member

Greyfox
    From $500.00 to $6500.00 in one year. Wow! What types of credit line increases were you getting and how often? On top of that an APR decrease. That's great!
    Do you have a grace period?