providian upgrade to platinum

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dave, Nov 5, 2000.

1. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Anyone know if Providian upgrades from gold to platinum, how long it takes after getting the gold and what terms were offered for the platinum?

2. Carrot

Carrot Guest

RE: providian upgrade to plati

Dave,

What terms does Providian offer with the Gold card? I think I'm due for an upgrade, but won't push it if the terms aren't significantly better.

TIA

3. dave

dave Well-Known Member

The gold card has the same shitty interest rate and no grace period but you can call and negotiate with either card. I got the interest rate down and got a grace period after I got the gold but I don't think having the gold is necessary to get better terms. Obviously, the gold has other benefits such as auto rental insurance and the like that the classic doesn't have. So that may be one reason to go for it.

4. Carrot

Carrot Guest

Thanks, Dave! I'll give 'em call today. I'll

5. Carrot

Carrot Guest

I called Providian toady and was told that Platinum is by invitation only. They look at your payment record with them, other creditors, and the credit limit to available credit on all of your credit cards.

BTW, I asked about a Gold Card and the Supervisor told me that my current interest rate is 16.99 and Gold is 19%, so I'm better off sticking with a CLassic. SHe also told me that I was not eligible for a limit increase because September's finance charge threw me over the credit limit by less than $2!! She offered me an 1K increase anyway, but I declined.

6. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Another Possible Advantage

Dave,

It's possible that your high credit limit, which I beleve is $9000, would not have been allowed on a Visa Classic. Just a guess about another possible advantage of the gold card...

7. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

"Providian toady" just about sums it up. I wonder how long they'll hold that "overlimit" against you?

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: Another Possible Advantage

I HAD A CLASSIC UNITED AIRLINES (CREDIT LINE $15,000) VISA
    WHEN IT WAS ISSUED BY FCC, NOT FIRST USA.

IF YOU CAN GET A "GOLD" CARD WITH A CREDIT LINE OF $200.00, CLASSIC, GOLD, PLATINUM, TITANIUM DON'T MEAN WHAT THEY USED TO MEAN.

9. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

RE: Another Possible Advantage

Good point. Providian policy may lie somewhere between the two extremes you mentioned. I know they issue small ($500) gold cards, but they may not allow very large Visas Classic.

Examples from other banks wouldn't settle the issue of how high the credit limit can get on a Providian Visa Classic.