Providian

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mwj, Jun 16, 2000.

1. rl

rl Guest

meaning what???

2. FISH

FISH Guest

I called about the subject of the subprime aria and the answer was" if you already have one account with them you can not get another visa from them" HOWEVER after you have had their visa (ANY ONE OF THEM) for over two years they will more than likely solicit you for a Master card from them

3. Mo

Mo Guest

Oh, c'mon folks....Steven Z is right. Let's presume:

(1) you made some mistakes
    (2) got into credit trouble
    (3) got smart...decided to get more responsible, figure it out, and execute a recovery
    (4) lay plans and do it.

If you got to #4, then it requires you go out and proactively GET information. It's hard, it's time-consuming, it's a pain in the ass. Doesn't matter, it has to be done. So to show up and post a generic "one-size-fits-all" question is an affront to all of those (such as Steven Z.) who spend a lot of time TRYING TO HELP others. For steven to ask a little "skin" of the requestor that s/he look around a bit is NOT inordinate. There is no doubt that, had the poster chimed in with a more "informed question", Steven Z. would have spent a lot of time with help.

Part of reclaiming your credit after problems occur is the re-assertion of your responsibilities to take control. Part of taking control is LOOKING for information first, THEN asking about that which is difficult/time consuming to find.

As Steven said, it would have taken less time to search on Providian than to have written the question.

4. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

Steven Z wrote:
    -------------------------------
    ...its a piece of crap with its only saving grace being it reports to the CRA's, and even that they've turned into a detriment.

>>What you mean by detriment, StevenZ?

....Then there were the others who having grasped the idea that this was a message board proceeded to post such gems daily as

"give me credit"
    "give me credit cards"
    "I have no more credit can you give me some"
    "I need to apply for credit"
    "how do you apply for credit"
    "how do you apply for online credit"

"My credit is bad"
    "my credit needs helping"
    "My credit is bad fix it"
    "My credit is bad I need bankruptcy"

And these were some of the intelligible, even legible one's!!!!

>>Ahhhhhhh, for the good old days when a look at Creditnet was like a trip to the circus. I miss it so! When was the last time our old friend "from the President" entertained us, or "G&L Bank" (..and I mean GOOD looking)? The board will always have its flamers like Christine, and its ideologues with a political axe to grind like Kathie, but this negative crap used to be leavened with humor and deliscious satire. I much prefered the old, debuached Creditnet board. Sigh!

5. Kathie

Kathie Guest

RE: Put in the work or ...

Geez man get a grip here. Ever think you just might be over reacting a bit?

6. Len

Len Guest

Michael, you're nostalgia is catching! I really miss some of those clever posts and satire, too.

7. ->ME&lt

->ME&lt Guest

RE:

What he's really trying to say is this is his site. : P~

8. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

...its a piece of crap with its only saving grace being it reports to the CRA's, and even that they've turned into a detriment.

>>What you mean by detriment, StevenZ?

Here, I will quote a part of J. Edgar's message to show you what I mean

"The originators of "We're going to pull your credit report every month and if you are late paying SOMEONE ELSE even though you've paid us on time for years, we're going to jack up
    your interest rate."

Figure it like this, if your STARTING at a 23.99% interest rate and the loan sharks at Providian are looking for any excuse possible to jack your rates 3%, 5%, 10%, who knows how high in penalty rates, regardless if you have a PERFECT credit history with them you find your not 'that bad' off with say an Aspire card at an initial 27% that, as others have demonstrated, can be dropped. More importantly, since Aspire does not report they cannot in turn check your credit report, thus the ONLY THING THAT COUNTS is your history with them.

Actually, I believe the best option is to find another, better, more respectable sub-prime creditor that reports and dump the Providian altogether.

Better yet, I see ANY secured card from a respectable bank, an infinately better choice than a sub sub-prime unsecured.

Yes, I know how much you miss those days, at times it seemed that posts were being rerouted from trailerparktrash.com and Igrajewatdgreat1nimok.com, I think nobody had as much fun there as you did.

Could you picture the fate of one's like Kathie and her friends on that board, who need to be coddled and protected, which is ludicrous, since it was that lack of (fill in the many blanks) that made them such marks for the credit industry that chewed them up and spit them out.

9. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

Steven Z wrote:
    -------------------------------
    ....Yes, I know how much you miss those days, ... I think nobody had as much fun there as you did.

++Oh, you are sooooo right. What deliscious(sp?) fun it was. I used to have trouble falling to sleep sometimes because some remark of such as "G&L Bank" (..we're open late hours... or some such:) would leap, unbiden into my head. It is hard to sleep when you're laughing.

Could you picture the fate of one's like Kathie and her friends on that board, who need to be coddled and protected, which is ludicrous, since it was that lack of (fill in the many blanks) that made them such marks for the credit industry that chewed them up and spit them out.

++The old board was an open, unregulated free market of ideas. Everything that the Kathies and the Christines of the world fear and loathe.

10. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

Consider this when Latwanna posted her MORONIC "they killed my puppy" post there was a huge, even astonished reaction, users brought it up for weeks afterwards.

Yet, posts such as these were an EVERYDAY occurence on the old board.

Just wondering what happened to all those sub-literates that seemed drawn to the old board, did they all gather together in one big field and are now mooing at the stars?

One thing I DON'T miss is all those TROLL postings, usually repeating the same idiot's agenda over and over.

As for G&L bank, strange more is not heard about it, as it remains one of the most highly rated online banks out there, with its relaxed rules (CheckSystem YES), granting of credit cards, overdrafts.

11. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

Since the late unpleasantness with Kathy and J Edgar's subsequent outing of himself, I have wondered whether it was he who was responsible for the G&L posts. He does seem to have a sense of humor. BTW, at one point a couple months ago I was pretty sure that I knew who "from the President" was, but I cannot remember now who my suspect was. Maybe it will come back to me.

12. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

I don't really know if J. Edgar was responsible for any of the G&L posts but I will admit he does a mean impression of Johnny Cochran.

As for "the President" and "Customer Service", well with the exception of Hardy trolling C.S. for about two weeks, all the accolades must be bestowed on one

M I C H A E L O H

in case that doesn't get the old memory banks stirring cheer up with a this classic post from a bygone board

Posted by Customer Service on January 03, 19100 at 20:35:14:

In Reply to: settle debt posted by Gwenly Billingsley on January 03, 19100 at 17:50:21:

To: Gwenly Billingsley
    Re: Credit repair

Miss Billingsley,

Here at the Credit Card Bulletin Board we have several credit repair programs for you to choose from. After submitting your credit reports, our huge staff of credit repair analysts here at Credit Card Bulletin Board World Headquarters will evaluate your difficulties and formulate a dynamic action plan to liberate you from the oppressive clutches of the Credit Bureaus and your exploitative creditors. Our enormous legal staff will then spring into action implementing the dynamic action plan: battling the credit bureaus; threatening, cajoling and harrassing your creditors; filing and litigating lawsuits on your behalf; and if necessary lobbying Congress for special legislation exempting you and only you from paying your bills at all-thus rendering your credit report moot. All at absolutely no charge to yourself. You may be asking yourself, why does the Credit Card Bulletin Board do it, why do they offer so much more than other Bulletin Boards- which, after all, are only places for people to post messages, hence the name "Bulletin Board". Because Gwenly, you are our Genius Award winner. We sift through the literally gazillions of requests for our help in order to discover the very few that evidence an exceptionally perceptive and penetrating intelligence. And your request Gwenly, "repair my credit", was so powerful in its misleading simplicity, so moving in its clever lack of puctuation, so intellectually overwhelming- that we bestow upon you our Genius Award. Congratulations Gwenly!

13. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

My God StevenZ, you have brought tears of joy to my eyes. Sniff, sniff. A lovely, stirring moment ressurected from an age I had thought never to return. What a marvelous gift, as I must rely on my memory. As to your inference, it would be unseemly, would it not, for me to praise myself, as I have, for instance, praised "from the president". I would never be so crass. Peace!

14. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

BTW, that reminds me of who it is I suspected of being "from the President". Just after the format change you will remember that there were a couple of moron posts. Just a couple. But if memory serves, J Edgar answered one of those with a post that was the spitting image of a "from the President" post. I wonder if I can go back and find the exact post.

15. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

Well I was curious so i went back to april and looked around a bit. This is all I found:

Author: mike (ppp73-247-189-212.cvx-rot-04.zonnet.nl)
    Date: 03-21-2000 14:01

i want creditcard numbers

Author: J. Edgar (208.177.192.123)
    Date: 03-26-2000 19:59

Okay, here's some credit card numbers:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Now take these numbers and duplicate each one as many times as you want.

Then you can take a '3' and put 14 of the other numbers after it and you will have an American Express card number.

Take a 4 and put 15 (that's one more than above) of the other numbers after it and you will have a MasterCard Number.

Take a 5 and put 15 of the other numbers after it and you will have a Visa Card Number.

See how easy it is to make your own credit card numbers? You can even do it in the comfort of your own home while sipping cocktails or eating bon-bons.

Good luck, but be careful. I hear the food isn't very good in Leavenworth.

<<<<<<That is but a shadow of the smartass I came to admire, but it is a possible clue. I just couldn't find anything else. However, I did run across this:

Author: Stacie Armstrong (spider-tj044.proxy.aol.com)
    Date: 03-20-2000 08:48

I applied for a card quite some time ago (before Christmas) and recieved a letter that you needed to hear from me to verify some information ,I called and did as instructed and have since waited for a reply. I have lost the 800 number and do not know to whom to speak about this ,how do I know that my card is not in the hands of someone unauthorized to use my credit? Please let me know as I am getting worried. thank you S. Armstrong

Author: Customer Service (IP254-144.neto.com)
    Date: 03-20-2000 17:21

Dear Stacie,

We are so sorry about the delay. Did you apply by telephone? As of 12/1/99 all credit cards applied for by telephone will be delivered by telephone. So stay close by! Oh, BTW- don't worry about losing the 800 number. Just use any 800 number, whoever answers the phone will connect you with the right department. It is quite similar to the E-mail regime, you didn't really have to worry about whom you were E-mailing , it just gets to the right people on its own!