Providian

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jsever, Jul 26, 2001.

1. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

I have a Providian Visa card, silver with a large "P" on the front. They upgraded me to gold and today I received a new card but it looks like the same one I have. Does the gold card look different?

2. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

My card is gold in color, has Providian Visa Gold across the top has the Providian logo on the left side and has a different number than my previous Providian Visa.

My MasterCard is Gold without saying Providian anywhere, has the Providian logo on the left side and is the same number as my previous Providian MasterCard.

3. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave - I think they sent the wrong card in error. I'll have to call them to find out. My other one doesn't expire for six mos. and they did say they were sending out a gold card.

4. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

I called Providian re: card they sent me. They said that a gold card was by invitation only. A manager in retention said that the card that I have is a platinum card. Has better benefits than the gold card. Covers stolen or broken items up to 90 days, double the life insurance while traveling, collision insurance on rented vehicles so you can waive the rental agency's, and insurance against lost or stolen luggage.

5. poobybear

poobybear Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had your account with Providian and what is your credit limit? Also, did they send you an invitation?

6. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

Had my card since Feb 2000, 4800 limit. I'm not sure what Providian is talking about though, my current card (they say is platinum) is the same one I've had sincee the account opened. Unless they addd benefits as you go along. The only difference between my current card and the one they sent me is a rainbow effect in the "P"! Cool.

7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

TO JSEVER

Did retention upgrade you to Platinum? if so, was it within the last 2 weeks??? and what were your terms? Did you get annual fee waived, decrease in apr, increase in loc?????

Please do tell!!! This has been a big issue w/Prov. NOT being able to upgrade until this month??? supposedly>...

8. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

"sincee" = "since"

9. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

Re: TO JSEVER

Annual fee waived at my request (because of info on this board), interest is still at 19.9% at my request (because of info on this board), BUT the rep said he would do something about that in ten days. I think the rep was new.

10. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

So, retention upgraded you to Platinum from a regular card??? Yes :)

11. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

I've always had the same card. I've never had any correspondence that said I was upgraded and I don't believe my card was originally platinum. I took the advice from this board and called them to see if I could be upgraded to gold. The rep (in retention) I talked to said yes and a new card would be sent out. The card I received was the same as the one I have now. I then called them and said I didn't receive a gold card. The rep said that the rep I had previously talked to had made a mistake and he (first rep) would have to talk with his manager. He came back on the phone and said that the gold card was by invitation only. He then said that I had a platinum card and that it had better benefits. He then read them off to me. I asked that he send me some info to that regard.

12. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

SWEET. I'm calling now.

13. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Hey, thank you for posing this! I've been waiting for their systems to upgrade so they could offer Platinum upgrades! 2 weeks ago they weren't online yet with this... glad to know it's on.

14. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

You read fast! What kind of account do you have with Prov?

15. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Gold Visa, regular MC. I'd like to fold the credit line of the mc into the visa and upgrade to platinum. I've already got over 5k so I qualify for Platinum.

It's just a system thing. I want the no annual fee, how about a frigging grace!!! and a loc if I can get it. I'd take the terms increase, though. :)

Yes, I read and type quickly. :)

16. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

You're right about the MC. Someone on here referred to it as an extra toy. I have one too. I don't think it's going anywhere. It's at 2250, and not moving very fast!

17. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Why do you guys struggle with getting upgrades from PRovidian, when Citibank just GIVES you a platinum upgrade when you call and ask for it? Just asking.

18. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

If I told you how old I was when I got my first credit card, you wouldn't believe me! I don't want to open any new accounts right now because I'm looking for a house.

19. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

Like a lot of others here, I didn't pay much attention to my credit over the years. Went from paycheck to paycheck, if I didn't have the cash, then I didn't need it. That philosophy didn't work as far as a credit history was concerned. So, consequently, the only credit history I had was maybe a car loan, which never counted much anyway, and lots of hospital, clinic bills that never got paid.

20. roni

roni Well-Known Member

OUCH!

You sound alot like me. I went completely without credit for most of my life besides a used car loan which was never reported anyway. I started with my first credit card (besides the ones I blew off 9 years ago in college) at age 30. I have spent 2 years building and learning about credit. But you know what, I didnt have a job and was in grad school, so I probably didnt need the credit anyway. I probably wouldnt have handled it right. Now I am so careful it is scary.....