Providian

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jsever, Jul 26, 2001.

1. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

Re: TO JSEVER

I'm gaining on this credit business, but have learned most of it on this board in the last year. Because of it, I know things like where Providian is coming from, but now I also know where I'm coming from. Why would you want to move to Jersey!

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

what is wrong with NJ. Where do you live?

3. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

I knew you'd say that! I also know what you mean by "scarry." I'm not very organized and am finding that I don't have any particular way of keeping track of when my credit card bills are due (although I haven't been late yet) and I'm afraid I'm going to miss one somewhere some month.

I live in Vermont (some people have never heard of it) and to me, New Jersey sounds crowded.

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I would never live in VErmont. And on that note, I will just say....to each it's own.

I am moving to a very nice quite suburban town. It is not in the woods but it is not urban either. I live in PHiladelphia presently so.......that will be a nice change......especially since moving from Manhattan last summer

5. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

Yes, if you've lived in Manhattan and Philadelphia, Jersey would be a blessing. I lived in Boston for a short while when I was younger, but I'm (as far as I know) a fourth generation Vermonter, my son being a sixth.

6. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

Skipped a generation didn't I!! Oh well, it's been a long day.

7. NiceGuy

NiceGuy Well-Known Member

Has anyone else been able to call Providian retention and get this platinum upgrade?

The card being described here IS the Platinum...a friend of mine has it and I saw it (silver metallic "P" on center)!!

Please do tell!!!

8. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

I couldn't get it. I just called.

9. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I use yahoo calendar to keep track of mine - I pay online also. Yahoo calendar will send you an email reminder twice for each date you need to be reminded of. Works great!

breeze

10. FeliceRodo

FeliceRodo Well-Known Member

Re: The Big P

I have the classic and it has the big, silver P on it. I guess I won't need a Platinum card whenever Providildo (I don't care if it was my first card) decides to upgrade me. It was will just say Platinum on my statement. Whoohooo.

11. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Marie, you usually give us more details....LOL. What did they say about the Platinum cards? Are they actually offering them now? Better rates, etc. Inquiring minds......... :-D

12. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

I was told their system still wasn't upgraded yet. I was given the 800# for Platinum cards. Was told you're at 22 mos blahblahblah... in 2 mos yaddayaddayadda.

I'm a bit irritated with them. Almost enough to cancel 2/3 cards. truly cancel.

I put in a request to combine accounts. they don't do that. their best competitors do. Why don't they? I"m bumping my suggestion to the executive dept.

Once my credit is better (eg: lawsuits are filed and settled) I'll have more power to negotiate. For now, I was told no go.

I am tired of getting nowhere w/Prov. Cap1 has become more competitive for my business, if you can believe that.

I'm also tired of hearing... well, just wait xxx months for our system to upgrade... GOd, get it together. I want access to all my accounts. I want better terms... and I deserve them. I just can't get them w/PRov til the magical OZ says so.

Give me a break. Now retention can't even increase lines.

On a good note, I did confirm that the Household/ Orchard connection exists.. meaning when Orchard upgrades their retention system Household goes up too.

We'll be able to get our subprime yuck terms a bit better in the Fall.

13. zcraws33

zcraws33 Well-Known Member

Marie,

I can add info in regards to Orchard/Household. I have an Orchard account that is about 7 years old. Yesterday I received a notice in the mail that there will be changes to my card as of 10/4/2001.
    exp:
    15.9 (apr) --19.9 (default rate) I already have the 15.9 rate. I am hoping that I will receive a lower apr offer with this card. I will keep the same card, but my payments will go to a different address. I also noticed that the change in terms indicate that Orchard bank, has been replaced with Household bank. Those are the only changes that are listed in the ppwk (change in terms)I received. I dont know if this really has anything to do with what you were talking about as far as orchard bank. hope this little info helps though...

14. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with you, Marie. I have always been a profitable customer for Providian for over 5 years. I have carried a balance most of the time and used the card heavily. However, they still refuse to give me a Platinum card. What is the card mad of, diamonds?? LOL... I have always enjoyed my relationship with them, but at this point I am very disgusted. Like you, I KNOW I deserve better at this point in my life.

I wrote a letter via Planetfeedback regarding the Platinum card and my distaste for the "no grace period". I told them I was tired of hearing the same response from reps and supervisors. "Platinum is by invitation only". Well, what the executive office rep say??.... "Please understand that Platinum is by invitation only". Uggghh....What a waste of time. After that fiasco, I receive a form regarding my experience with the executive office and whether my concerns were addressed. I sent copies of all the letters I have wrote and received and stated on the form my dissatisfaction. I will probably receive a letter reciting the same thing the previous person stated.

I refuse to buy this "by invitation only" thing anymore. I have had an account with them for well over 5 years which I have paid on time and used a lot. I have no lates with my other creditors. I have paid off one auto loan and am now on my second with no lates. I have prime accounts with Chase, AmEx and Bank of America. And I still can't get an "invitation"? What a joke!!

Funny thing is, they are going to lose PROVEN low risk customers that were once subprime, but are now prime and at the same time very profitable. Too bad for Providian. Good news for the prime lenders.

15. FeliceRodo

I whine about my 2 year relationshop with the Big P but I have a bk 7 and about 7 years to get to Prime. I want Platinum, too.

But others with much longer relationships and better credit due to hard work are really being hurt by Providian, which keeps them subprime. Miles, you are great now, and deserve better than what Providian is allowing to you.

Why waste your time on a lender who treats you like those dubious individuals who run up their cards and split. You are the real victim in this situation.

16. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Re: The Big ;P

Miles,

I agree you should dump Providian unless it's your only old account???

That's truly insulting. In comparison, I too am whining because I do show a bk still and a few old derogs.

I'm irritated b/c Cap1 has allowed me to progress while P hasn't really.

I'm trying to be loyal (it's also an older account for me so I need the aging) but I don't need the new Getsmart account or the PMc.

Of the cards I will cancel, I'll likely nix Nextcard (no trust), PMC (no need), and combine Cap1's in Feb after I get my increases.

The next to go will also be Providian again. Getsmart. (Getsmart and dump it when you can). If my derogs are gone from disputing, I'll go prime and either demand Plat or really cancel the last one late next year.

I do think subprime hurts us in the long run. At least my visa is 5600 limit (not a puny one) in comparison to the other Prov ones I have.

You know once I'm solidly prime I'll get an invitation again for the smartcard from Providian (already got one. told I can't have it though b/c of the other accounts). UGh.

17. FeliceRodo

Marie,

May I ask how long it has been since you filed bk?

I think Prime is beyond my reach but you seem to be almost there. My concern for you is dumping 2 of your Providians which may negatively affect the way Providian treats you on your remaining card.

If Miles' case is any proof, Providian may act more indifferent towards you.

18. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

I also will dump my P-MC when the first year ann. is here as I did not have a need for it.

In the next couple of weeks I am paying off all my cc balances and maintaining a low profile until Feb. 2002. Current balance to CL is about 75%

Not sure if this will having any impact on my FICO but at this point I am going to use the cc for small purchases.

Best regards,
    Sam

19. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

files 8/98 disch 12/98

20. FeliceRodo

Marie, you're doing better than I on the credit comeback. Congratulations.

My score is a lot lower and I won't get the CapOne and others because they are on my bk7 in 1999.

Sam has a gist of my idea. I am paying my cards off and let them idle for a couple of months. Then pay them off every month. No sense in "building" credit when no card options are available, anyway :(