PROVIDIAN

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by RITA, Sep 19, 2000.

1. RITA

RITA Guest

I HAVE AN OLD CHARGE OFF WITH PROVIDIAN SINCE 1994. I DID NOT REMEMBER IT BECAUSE THIS IS WHAN I HAD JUST TURNED 18 YRS OLD. WELL RECENTLY, IN MY MISSION TO RE-ESTABLISH CREDIT I APPLIED FOR IT AND WAS DENIED BECAUSE OF THIS. MY QUESTION IS, NEXT YEAR THIS ACCOUNT WILL BE DROPPED OFF MY CREDIT REPORT BUT IF I WANT A PROVIDIAN CARD WOULD THEY CONSIDER APPROVING ME IF I PAY THE BALANCE OFF?

2. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but I would call and ask a customer service rep in their credit dept. I have heard in the past that Providian is not very forgiving when it comes to past delinquency, but I could be wrong. I urge you to call them. What do you have to lose? It's about to drop off your report anyway. Keep us informed & good luck!

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Credit card companies are starting to issue new credit cards with the old debt attached. Since the Sol is past this is the only way to collect the money at this late date. Be careful when accepting credit from a bank that you owe. My aunt received a preapproval from Capital one for $500. She took it when the card came, the statement said she had a balance of $900. She owed c1 this about 5 years ago. Capital one is known for doing this for old debts. I would just be careful.

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

did she keep the card or cancel it?

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

My auntie bless her heart, felt she had to pay it. I knew nothing of this of course. She has been paying back the debt for 8 months now. They recently told her that she has available credit even though she has not paid off the old balance. I guess they want to make even more interest off her new purchases.