psychic lines 900 numbers, etc..

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by johncredit, Sep 23, 2003.

1. johncredit

johncredit New Member

can these guys count against your credit? years ago i had roommates make crazy calls on the phone that was in my name and i am now hearing from them(creditors) years later. Can this ultimately count against my credit.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

YOUR NAME---YOU PAY

But there MAY be some phone company rules that will cover it...I KNOW THEY CAN NOT CUT YOU OFF FOR BASIC SERVICE "IF" YOU DON'T PAY LONG DISTANCE...I'M NOT SURE ABOUT 900 or 976 NUMBERS

3. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Probably all ready has.

4. gretchen

gretchen Well-Known Member

The original psychic 900 line creditors that existed years ago are all out of business as far as I know.

Newbie here, but you might want to look into if you still have to pay the CA if the OC does not exist.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: psychic lines 900 numbers, etc..

...then they most likely CAN'T PROVE THE DEBT

6. johncredit

johncredit New Member

thanks to all for the advice, I am trying now to see if this is even legit or if it is just some dude trying scam me for cash. They sent me this note in the mail threatening lawsuits, etc... What i think is funny, is how is a company out of Ohio is going to prosecute a guy in FL when they dont even have an 800 number they only have local phone #. They obviously dont have any money. One more question though:

will some debt collectors report to your credit bureaus and others dont. they were using the old "your credit" will be bad but the other company that supposedly had this debt before never reported it to anyone.

7. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

How old is it?

8. johncredit

johncredit New Member

it is from 1999. it was just aquired from another debt collection company and now the new company is doing the usual threatening bullsh*t. I feel since it has never showed up on any credit report i can tell them to f off.

9. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

A lot of debt collectors don't have toll-free #'s...

As long as they don't just leave a messages that conceals that the reason why you need to call a long distance number is for a debt collection purpose, they don't need to.

If they want to call leaving vague messages concealing a debt collection purpose, then they have to pay for the calls, otherwise its only a courtesy to have a toll free #.

Also, the CA doesn't have to appear in your jurisdiction, as long as they can hire an attorney to appear in your jurisdiction with all of the information that they have to defend their case.

Dispute under the FCBA (Fair Credit Billing Act -- applies to phone service billing disputes), FDCPA, and FCRA.

You want them to provide something in writing with your signature that you signed up for the services, and that you authorized the calls in question; as well as all billing statements and invoices for the statements in question.

BTW: just because the last CA never turned it over to a CRA to report it doesn't mean that this CA, or any future CA will not report it, which is why you want to dispute it fast, and dispute it hard.

10. lbrown59

Re: Re: Re: psychic lines 900 numbers, etc..

I feel since it has never showed up on any credit report i can tell them to f off.
    johncredit
    =================
    You can but
    That's a great way to shoot yourself in the foot.

11. lbrown59

1*You want them to provide something in writing with your signature that you signed up for the services, and that you authorized the calls in question; as well as all billing statements and invoices for the statements in question.
    jam237
    =========================
    john credit don't want this.

12. moneyelf

moneyelf Well-Known Member

Is This CA Licensed To Operate In Your State??????

Search out the Licensing and Regulation Board in Florida (where you live, right?). They should have a search utility to find out if they are licensed to operate in your state. Search all the ways that are available to you on thet website for that CA. Call this state board if you have to, to be sure. If this CA is not licensed as stated here, then you remind them they have no legal right to try and collect anyway. Threaten to sue them (current CA) if you have to, and include a stipulation that they are not to sell the debt to another CA or you will bring suit for harrassment/mental anguish etc. for what this current CA has already done to you. They will eventually have to realize that you are serious.They might still be able to legally sell the debt but then again, they might not-probably bought it for pennies on the dollar anyway and might think it is not worth it to fight an informed consumer.

If they are legit and licensed in your state then what the other posters said up top. In any case, the OC/CA would have to prove the things the other posters mentioned above anyway. Get a verification letter off to them (the OC), perhaps, up to you, which will give you the chance to prove the debt is not yours. This could come in handy if anyone else ever tried to collect. The phone company cannot turn your phone off in many if not all states for 900 charges. The phone company would be very unlikely to come after you for such an item. But who knows, fools may try.