Pulled Cr W/out Authorization

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by SPANKY23, Sep 21, 2003.

1. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

I have several inquires on my creidt report that I did not authorize. I have sent them letters requesting the prove they had permissable purpose for this but I get no response from them. What do I do now??? Thanks!

2. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Sue them for violation of FCRA.

3. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Flying don't you think a few questions need to be asked before you jump to sue someone?

Spanky, are these soft inq's or hard inq's? Are they from creditors you have accounts with or are they from collection agencies trying to collect, or are they from some place you have never had any dealing with?

4. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

They are hard inquiries from companys that I have never ever heard of. I sent them letters certified mail requesting why they pulled my credit but no answer. If I sue, how do I begin? I am new at this. Do I send them an intent to sue letter?? If so, does anyone have a good sample letter to go off of? THanks!

5. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Do you know if they are creditors or are they collection agencies? Since you said you were new, why don't you list them?

6. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

One is from Capitol One, I have never applied for a card with them and have never had one. The next is from a GTWY/CBUSA. Never heard of them. The only collection agency I have ever had to deal with was called DCI in my home state and the address for the GTWY/CBUSA is in PA. Those are the 2 I know off hand, and the ones that won't respond to my letters. Thanks again!

7. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Pulled Cr W/out Authorization

Are there letters after the inq's? What reports are these on? Before threatening anybody, I would call the cra and ask them what type of inq's were these.
    The Capital One could be a promotional inq and the other is possibly Gateway financing thru Citibank USA?

8. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

Re: Re: Pulled Cr W/out Authorization

This is a copy of what Experian shows
    (01) XPN 10-15-02 CAPITAL ONE
    (01) XPN 02-28-02 CIT ONLINE BANK/DFS
    (01) XPN 01-13-02 CAPITAL ONE
    This is what Trans Union Shows.
    GTWY/CBUSA 02/28/02
    Exquifax just shows the name and date also.
    I never applied for anything from Gateway or CIT ONLINE BANK. What do I send them now?

9. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Pulled Cr W/out Authorization

EX and TU have their hard inquiry sections separate. That's where these are? Are you married? Could your wife or SO applied for cr in your name?

10. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

I am married but she didn't apply for credit with my SSN. We are both working on repairing our credit to buy a home. Thanks.

11. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Then what I would do, is send your no permissable purpose letter thru their Agent of Service - you can find out that information thru your Secretary of State. If no Agent of Service in your state, you will need to call the SOS in the state they are located.

Sending it thru the Agent of Service (IMHO) and thru experience, generally gets their attention. It gets to the "right" department, and they know if you have gone to the effort to find the Agent, you are serious.

HTH

12. YUMMYCAKES

YUMMYCAKES Well-Known Member

Do you know where I can find a sample No permissable purpose letter to go by? The original one I sent just said please state your purpose for obtaining my credit report on XX/XX/XX. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I want to make sure I do this right. Thank you!!

13. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

I tried contacting the Secretary of State in my state and their state but they don't have any names. Would it work to just put on the envelope Attn: Legal Dept? Thanks!

14. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I would agree with jlynn, IF you are 100% certain that they are hard inq's and definitely not promotional inq's.

15. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

I can't find an Agent of Service for these companies. I contacted the Secretary of State in my state and the companies. They didn't have any info. Would it still work to just send it to them?

16. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

I hate trying to find bank's agents! LOL tough to do. I was hoping you might have better luck :)

Give it today, and see if someone has the info in their "address book" LOL. It was Cap One and Gateway/Citibank USA correct?

If no one does, then you can try to the attention of their legal department, or I have also gotten the CEO/Office of the President address from PFB and sent letters there.

I hate wasting a good $4.42 :(

17. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

Okay, I don't mean to sound dumb here and maybe I should have thought about it before I asked but what is PFB? Thanks!

18. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

19. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

How do I go about suing for pulling credit without authorization? I have never done this before and I don't know where to start. Please help!!!

20. vghost

vghost Well-Known Member

• 1. Did you try to contact them through PFB, as jlynn advised?

2. If yes, did you get any responce?

3. Do you still have the inquiries in your report?

4. Are there new inquiries in your report?