Question about Amex - Dogman

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dynamic, Sep 6, 2000.

1. dynamic

dynamic Guest

Congratulations on newly extended credit from Amex! Question - I have been reading some of these threads and do I understand this correctly, did you file chapter 13 bankruptcy, and if you did when? And also if you did, did you default on any cards from Amex when you filed. I filed chapt 7 in 1992, which included an Amex card, and from what I have been reading on various boards, Amex will never again allow me to hold one of their cards. If this is true, this is very unfortunate because since the bankruptcy I have leased 2 cars, have 4 sub-prime cards, and various other loans and have paid perfectly on all of these. My credit reports looks spotless (with the exception of the bankruptcy which still appears - I know! that's a big exception) I applied for a *secured* Optima card in March, 2000 and was denied. Does Amex show no mercy?

2. Jo

Jo Guest

RE: Question about Amex - Dogm

I *believe* that Dogman paid off his debt with them...I'm not sure, but if you call and work out something with a manager or something, I'm sure that you could get the Green Card and upgrade to Gold.

3. Saar

Saar Banned

Also, if one rep can't help you, hang up and call again. I had to try 3 times before I eventually spoke with a rep that was willing to listen.

Saar

4. John Debto

John Debto Guest

We went through this some months ago on this board, AmEx told me they don't have a general policy of denying past deadbeats, so long as nothing is currently listed on the deadbeat's current credit reports.

So I would say, when your bankruptcy comes off after 10 years you might apply.

I "lost" my AmEx accounts in 1992 as well, keep up the faith.

5. rick

rick Well-Known Member

RE: Question about Amex

Dynamic,
    I'm in the same situation as you. I filed Chapter 7 in 1991 (so it won't be off until next year). Amex turned me down because I still owed them money from 1991 (about $1000). I have taken Dogman's example, and paid them off about a month ago. My credit is excellent now, except for the BK in 1991. I think I'll wait until next year then apply. I keep getting pre-approved offers from Providian, Associates, etc, but I don't want any sub-prime cards. I already have an unsecured Cap One card with a $5000 limit and a USBank unsecured card with a $2000 limit, and a Citibank unsecured with $4000 limit. I hope AMEX will take me next year...any thoughts out there?

6. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I can answer your question very specifically.
    I filed in Chap 13 Oct 1996. I did not have AMEX at that time. I still owed them from 79, but had built excellent credit - and used Diners Club. They were not involved in the Chap 13.

I believe AMEX will forgive you, Chap 7 or not - but you need to tell them you want to be square and start a new relationship.

Pay the balance, and have an Acct Mgr help
    watch for the check to clear. If you have a reasonable explanation regarding the Chap 7, BUT now you have paid the old AMEX bill anyway, and have a job, etc, cards, they will issue you the Green Card.

Further - my FICO is poor due to the Chap 13. I called the Acct Mgr after the check cleared, and she told me to apply at 1800THECARD for the Green (remember rebuilding here). I told the ACCT MGR I would bounce - she said just do it.

I got a declination letter about 3 days later - she apologized and said she forgot to mention it to me, it was computer generated of course. BUT ALL IS OK!
    I got the Card the next day.

I will stay with AMEX. They are a forthright business, and when they say they qualify based on credit, resources, or etc,
    it is true. My credit did not qualify but my income sure did.

Do it buddy. Pay off the old. Get the new.
    Dogman

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: Question about Amex

Rick - call them NOW - 24 hrs at 1800THECARD.
    Your account now has shown the past debt paid. Your BK comes off in a yr anyway-
    they will give it to you now.

You may need to be transferred to an ACCT MGR at Centurion Bank- there's how I got help.

Go for it now.
    Dogman

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Yes, I paid off the balnce from 1979. It was $1116. They did not charge me interest.

My card shows Member Since 00.

Also, look at Rick's message - he needs to do it now as well.

Dogman

9. dynamic

dynamic Guest

Thanks Dog - your story is inspiring!

I had gotten sick, and was out of work for a month. At the time I had a very large debt load, and was counting on each paycheck to meet all bills. Being out of work for a month, killed me financially. I had gotten behind on all of my bills and was never able to catch up!

The most ironic thing about the whole bankruptcy, at the time I declared I owed Amex about $400, I called them and told them I was ready to declare BK, and that I wanted to pay the $400 (it was not late at the time), and would like to keep the card. They said "no", you will not be able to keep the card (even though I had a perfect 4 year payment history with them and had a gold card). So, I didn't pay!

10. rick

rick Well-Known Member

BAD NEWS from AMEX

I just got a letter from AMEX today:
    "Our files indicate you have been sent a letter on June 8, 2000 from our Outside agency department informing you that AMEX no longer accepts requests for re-affirmation. Please understand, though you voluntarily sent a payment to cover the balance on your account, we do not issue accounts to Cardmemebers who have filed for bankruptcy protection....we hope future circumstances will allow us to resume our business relationship."

I guess AMEX took my money,said thanks, and turned it's back on me.

11. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

RE: BAD NEWS from AMEX

I wonder what those "future circumstances" could be?

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: BAD NEWS from AMEX

Hey Rick - I snapped you back the next steps.
    READY? Diners Club?

LETS DO IT! Dog:)