Question about balance transfe

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sam, Mar 3, 2001.

1. sam

sam Well-Known Member

ok. I've never done this.

Can I balance transfer from my citi card to say my capital one card. Even if i don't owe anything on the my capitalone card?

will cap 1 take the check? If its say $2000 over my balance? and post it?

Will I be able to get the cash back on a balance refund and then use the intro balance transfer rate as a low interest personal loan?

I dont owe anything on my cards right now but i could use a personal loan for $2k-4k for some car stuff.

I really need cash not credit and dont want to cash advance the whole amount and get stuck with 19.99% and fees!

Can you balance transfer to
    1. yourself? (check payable to you)
    2. Someone else ?
    3. someone elses credit card?

hints please.

2. other me

other me Guest

Re: Question about balance tra

I've done it before. Do the balance transfer, and on the card you transfer from, you should end up with a credit balance. Then call and ask for a refund.

3. lena

lena Well-Known Member

You can have Citibank send a payment to your Cap 1 account. Some companies won't allow you to send a balance transfer to yourself or another individual. It must be sent to a company.

I would advise against transferring such a large amount to a zero balance card if time is an issue. You will get your money back, but it may take awhile. A lot of companies won't issue a refund for 3-4 weeks, depending on the amount of the overpayment (they want to make sure the payment they received cleared).

4. Shell

Shell Guest

Sam, if you use the transfer from Citibank, they will send you a check directly and you can use it as you wish. I just did this recently and had the check in 8 days, I am not sure all banks do this but I do know Citibank does.

5. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Couldn´t you make a Cash advance from Cap One Example $1100 and then send the citibank balance transfer check (Ex $ 2500) to them and ask for the credit refund?.

6. Saar

Saar Banned

Actually you can have the first $1K of the BT register as a PURCHASE (meaning you enjoy a grace period, unlike a BT transaction).

Just move the money to a Yahoo's PayDirect account, change your CC details to the Cap 1, and then move the PayDirect balance back to the credit card. I've just done the to make a fee-free & interest-free BT from my Amex Blue to the Amex Opt Plat. Works like a charm, and it's not against Yahoo's policy, because I did not move the money to my own checking account.

Saar