Question about Charge Offs

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by c5kirk, Apr 30, 2001.

1. c5kirk

c5kirk Well-Known Member

My wife has a Cap1 acct. showing on her CR with a status of "Paid/Account charged off. $929 written off.". This was an account that had apparently been charged off before we were married. After we got married I found out about the account and had her call Cap1 and pay it off (at that time they never mentioned that it had been charged off). My question is... is this status correct? How can an account be charged off and paid at the same time? If this is correct is it as harmful as a charge off without the "paid" notation? Thank you for any advice.

2. c5kirk

c5kirk Well-Known Member

bump. Anyone?

3. Larissa

Larissa Well-Known Member

It might be, on Expreian my paid collections show as Paid\Collection , so I suppose of I paid my Chargeoff it might Show Paid\Charge off or Paid\Account Charged off. I am not sure, but it seems logical.

4. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

kirk,
    I had 2 paid chgoffs. The last payment on each acct was made after they were already charged off. So not only did they get their money,but they still get to trash my credit report for 7 years. I had a 20 + point increase when one of them was deleted. I believe a chgoff on your CR is big negative points either way.
    pat

5. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

Same thing with me, charged-off and paid but credit is trashed anyway. How did you get yours removed?? Mine always get verified, but they are only two years old.

6. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Kat,
    I disputed as "not mine" and they were removed. One came back as verified a month after it was deleted. I'm currently trying to get the original creditor to validate that the acct. they are listing under my ss# is mine. I'm not sure if I'll get a response, or what response I'll get. It's about 4 years old, so I'm hoping they won't have the records and send me something to that effect. I still have 5 tradelines that need disputed so I've moved on. But I'm determined to get the chgoff deleted. I figure my best bet now is to go after the original creditor. Since its already paid, there is no debt, so I don't know what my leverage is going to be.
    pat

7. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Lizard,
    What do you do if they say they won't re-investigate because it has already been verified? Wait a while and try again?
    pat

8. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Excellent info, Thanks.
    I'm determined to get the chgoff deleted. If it takes a lawsuit, so be it. Hopefully they'll give in before that.

9. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Thanks again. I won't run into it blindly. I've been saving everything. Copies of envelopes, receipts, all of the CRA's correspondence. I've got a variation of the validation letter out to the original creditor now. The only mistake I made was hurrying it (no RR). If I don't get a response, I'll step the letter up a little and send it certified RR. Since it's a paid chgoff, I don't see how I can entice them to respond. I guess I'm just hoping they will. And I'll definately seek some more advice before "going legal on them" (good line :).