question about citibank card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ero2, Sep 16, 2003.

1. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

on the AAdvantage card with NO PRESET SPENDING LIMIT will they actually let you go above it or is it NO PRESET, IN THEORY? If my CL is 4000 will they let me go to 7000? Also are CL increases given on this card even though it has no preset spending limit, but still has a revolving portion?

Thanks for anyone who has this card and can offer me some insight.

2. daveberk

daveberk Well-Known Member

I got this card in 2000 with a CL of 10.5K and use it all the time. After about a year it went to 16.5K, then to 18.5K where it is now. I've never used the "no preset limit" option but was told that when planning a big purchase, it's a good idea to call it it will put you over the limit.

The other thing to know is that you can negotiate the APR. My APR started at 19.4--this was before all the fed cuts-- and now is at 7.9.

3. ef

ef Well-Known Member

I have found the no-preset option handy, especially when travelling on business. Similar dynamics of an Amex card (no preset limit). But remember, if you go over you C/L at closing date, your minimum payment will include the exceeding amount (ie - if your minimum payment is $72 and you are over your c/l by 1K at statement date, your minimum will be $1,172).

How much "over the limit" you can go varies on your payment / purchase habits and usage pattern.

I went from a 3,400 c/l (citi silver aa) in '01 to a 10k revolving c/l today (citi AA world p/s). I have gone over my limit by about 3K for business trips but paid the exceeding amount before statement date.

One caveat -- Citi AA World does not report your revolving C/L or high limit.

Other than that, its a great card product. Have racked over 90K miles this year alone from purchases / idine / at&t long distance, etc.