Question about Experian report

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JB, Jul 2, 2000.

1. JB

JB Well-Known Member

I just received my credit report from Experian and it has several mistakes on it. I was hoping someone could tell me what I need to do to correct the mistakes.

My CR shows that I have two accounts that are inactive and in good standing. I have never had an account with either of the companies (Mervyn's and M. Wards). The CR shows that the account has been opened for about 4 or 5 years and never had a balance.
    I never had one of those accounts.

Second mistake is when they list all the names I have been known by. One of the names is not mine, nor have I ever gone by that name (I don't even know anyone by that name).

What is the best way to correct these mistakes? Should I call or write Experian? Should I write to Mervyn's and M. Wards and asked the to verify my account and close it?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

2. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: Question about Experian re

Just another example of the CRA's bad recordkeeping, well you have plenty of company what with 70% percent of credit files having incorrect statements.

In any case, as it stands your credit score is being lowered because the beancounters who set up the scoring system INSIST that you will 1 minute from now run to these stores and charge them up to the maximum, doesn't matter that there is or never has been proof or demonstration to that effect they PENALIZE you anyways.

So obviously its in your best interests to have these accounts removed. Trouble is I foresee alot of work and hassle ahead for once you send in your contestation

"report never mine, your bookkeeping error"

Experian (as they do so often) will LIE about verifying it, or one or both of companies will LIE and do the same (investigating takes time and $$ and many companies are just plain unwilling to do so unless a judge or a regulatory body forces them to).

Of course, perhaps I'm being too negative and they'll delete the mistakes, but having seen too many such cases posted on these credit sites I'm just advising you to be prepared for the worst.

3. Alex - Cre

Alex - Cre Guest

RE: Question about Experian re

You can dispute any errors on your credit report and have them removed, for more information on how you can do this for free and on your own go here:
    http://www.creditinsiders.com/article06.html

I would also suggest that you get a copy of your credit report from the other 2 CRA's and make sure everything is in order.

Alex.

------------------
    Free Credit Repair Information.
    http://www.Creditinsiders.com

4. JB

JB Well-Known Member

Thanks

Thank you for the link to that article. That was very helpful. I will write the credit bureau this week. Thanks again.