question about FDIC

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ero2, Aug 5, 2003.

1. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

My mom told me that an FDIC insured bank only has to give you XX cents on the dollar if the bank goes under, but the way I understand it is if your bank is insured for 100,000 then as long as your account is under 100,00 your entire account is covered, or in other words your entire 100,000 would be covered and not just cents on the dollar. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

2. too much

too much Banned

If an FDIC bank fails, the FDIC will pay off 100% of your deposit, up to $100,000.

3. lakpr

lakpr Well-Known Member

"too much" is only partially correct. The $100,000 limit applies to *ALL* balances in the bank, not per account. If you have a money market account, a checking account, a savings account, a CD, etc. with the bank, and if the combined balance of all such deposits exceeds $100,000, and the bank goes under, you get only $100,000 max.

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: question about

What or who is FDIC?

5. lakpr

lakpr Well-Known Member

Re: Re: question about

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation

The federal agency that insures people's deposits in a bank ... remember the Savings & Loan crisis of the 80's? And remember who paid the depositors when those S&Ls went under? FDIC -- that's who

http://www.fdic.gov

6. lbrown59

Re: Re: Re: question about

1*FDIC is not an agency of the Federal Government !
    2*Yeah;the taxpayers.

7. lakpr

lakpr Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: question about

1* Are we splitting hairs here and arguing about my use of word "agency" ? Or are you saying FDIC has nothing to do with federal government? If the latter, why does it have its website domain as ".gov" ??

2* No argument there, but true only in the indirect sense. For those people who actually deposited their money in a S&L, the final check came from FDIC ... who in turn got reimbursed from the tax revenues

8. lbrown59

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question about

FDIC has nothing to do with the federal government?

9. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

How can you say the FDIC is not a government agency? It certainly is:

An independent agency of the federal government, the FDIC was created in 1933 in response to the thousands of bank failures that occurred in the 1920s and early 1930s. Since the start of FDIC insurance on January 1, 1934, no depositor has lost a single cent of insured funds as a result of a failure.

And it was not the FDIC that was involved in the savings and loan debacle, it was the FSLIC--The Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation. This appears, however, to be a separate fund managed by the FDIC.

Just because it's an independent agency of the federal government doesn't mean that it's not part of the government. It is, it's just independent from other agencies.

10. lakpr

lakpr Well-Known Member

Hedwig,

Thank you for providing support to my argument ..

11. too much

too much Banned

Re: Re: question about FDIC

How in the world is what I said only "partially correct?"

Amazing.

12. lbrown59

Re: Re: Re: question about

How can you say the FDIC is not a government agency? It certainly is:

An independent agency of the federal government, the FDIC was created in 1933 in response to the thousands of bank failures that occurred in the 1920s and early 1930s. Since the start of FDIC insurance on January 1, 1934, no depositor has lost a single cent of insured funds as a result of a failure.

And it was not the FDIC that was involved in the savings and loan debacle, it was the FSLIC--The Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation. This appears, however, to be a separate fund managed by the FDIC.

Just because it's an independent agency of the federal government doesn't mean that it's not part of the government. It is, it's just independent from other agencies.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    http://www.bankrate.com/cweb/news/cc/20030804a1.asp
    """""""""```~~~```'"""""""""

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: question about

Each bank pays a certain percentage of all deposits to the F.D.I.C.

HOW MUCH THAT IS...I HAVE NO IDEA...AND WHAT DAY IT IS THAT THEY PAY...I HAVE NO IDEA EITHER...