Question about Inquiries

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lucy, Mar 26, 2001.

1. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

I recently pulled all three of my credit reports and noticed the following:

In 3/2000, I applied for an auto loan through General Motors. I received the loan through Nuvell Financial a subsidiary of GM. I got the loan on 4/11/2000. However, look at the following inquiries on my credit report:

General Motors Accp Corp: 4/12/00
    General Motors Accp Corp: 4/11/00
    Maher Chevrolet: 4/11/00
    General Motors Accp Corp: 3/9/00
    Nuvell Financial: 3/9/00

Is there anything I can do about these excessive inquiries? I did not authorize them to pull my report 5-6 times in some instances on my credit reports!

2. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice Lizardking. You are very credit savy. Btw, just wanted you to know I sent my payment to CCB on 3/21, to West Virginia, and it was credited on 3/25 (guess the certified mail got their attention). I just got a job, we will never charge another dime on that credit card. I plan to pay it off, but I was wondering something. Shouldn't I just keep it open even when the balance is down to 0? I really need to show some credit card history on my credit report. The mortgage and car loans just don't seem to cut it. I also have First Premier, they are great at crediting the payments. Should I keep the CCB or dump it when I can pay it off? Thanks in advance. You are wonderful...

3. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

No, they do not charge a monthly fee, only 1st Premier Bank does. Maybe someone else has some advice? I guess it won't be good though. :)

4. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Lucy, I know many people have had a lot of problems with Cross Country Bank, but I had an account with them for 3 years and never had any major problems. I am not defending them or minimizing anyone else's problems, I'm just stating my experience. My payments always posted quickly to my account and I never sent a payment certified mail. Granted I did ALWAYS write my account # on my check (should be done with any account). I even sent payments without the payment coupon (as I usually make 2 pymnts per mth on all my cards) and they posted without complication. I always sent my payments at least 10 days before due. They usually posted to my account in about 3 or 4 days.
    They are not the greatest bank by far, but they did assist me in developing an excellent payment history. I think it should be ok to keep them for a full year to help your credit profile, but definately stay on top of them. Make sure your payments post by calling the automated system or checking online. Hope this helps some and good luck to you! :)

5. Richguy

Richguy Guest

Cross Country Bank

The positive history you're counting on from the CCB card could turn to negative history overnight. It probably won't, but it could if they decide you're their victim for the day. They could resent you for paying off the card completely, and also conclude that if they nick you for a few charges you would have the resources to pay them off again.

I would advise prompt closure of the account and close attention to the whole process. Two open bank cards would look nice on your credit reports, but I think your mortgage and your auto loan do a lot more for you. You could get a retail or gas card (Dillard's, Target, Exxon, etc.) if you feel you need another revolving account. Later you could add another bankcard from Providian, for example, or even Citibank.