question about reporting AU to CRA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by holis, Aug 29, 2003.

1. holis

holis Well-Known Member

I am an AU on a dept. store card that my mom has, Only because the store is where I live (TX) and she lives across the country where this store has no locations. Card had 1K CL and 0 balance. has been open for about 3 yrs.

How likely is it that if I request the OC to put it on my CRA that it will happen? just hoping that maybe that would boost my score a little.
    TIA

2. BrettS

BrettS Well-Known Member

Typically some creditors will put a tradeline on an AU's credit report and some won't. If it's this company's policy not to do this, then you probably won't be able to get them to do it. It's certainly worth a call, though.

The other option is to see if you can be added as a joint account holder instead of an AU. AFAIK every creditor will put a TL on a joint account holder's credit report.

The disadvantage to doing this is that it makes you responsible for the account. If your mother were to charge up a huge bill and then stop making payments the creditor couldn't do anything to you as an AU (Although they might try) but if you were a joing account holder then you would be legally responsible for that bill. Additionally, many companies won't let you remove a joint account holder without closing the account. If at some point you or your mother no longer wanted you to be attached to this account you may have to close the account to get off of it.

HTH,
    Brett