Question about state disputing

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Mar 18, 2001.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Hi! I have a question I'm hoping to get some help on.

Which state would I follow through on violations with for the following circumstances:

I reside for CO
    Hospital bills incurred in CO
    Paid Hospital copays to hospital in CO
    Collection Agency in TX reported them to CRA AFTER payment had cleared at hospital (1-2 months) and with absolutely no notification to me of any kind at any time

Are they governed by Co law or TX law? If I had to file a small claims case, where would I file.

Thank you

2. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Re: Question about state dispu

Thank you!

3. N'awlins

N'awlins Guest

Did you try contacting the collection agency with proof of payment?

4. Saar

Saar Banned

The debt is absolutely NOT governed by TX law. Only federal & CO state law apply.

Don't communicate with the collector. Communicate only with the hospital, and let them know if they keep hiring people to collect a fully-paid debt that no longer exists, they would have to face the consequences. Send them a certified letter, saying that unless they pull the debt file from the collection agency and clear your report in 30 days, they should prepare for litigation. This means paying damages, court costs and attorney fees.

Saar

5. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Recently received a collection letter from Americian Medical Collection Agency dated 2-14-1 giving 30 days from that date to respond.
    Letter Info.
    Debtor bdb
    owed to LabCorp
    Amount due $16.50
    Charge for 6-21-00 services at LabCop
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BDB never had any dealings With LabCorp but LB did.
    ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    Need Advice On Best Way To Respond To This Letter=PLEASE
    ----------- --------------- --------------
    Who should respond bdb or lb or both?
    TO WHOM should the response be directed-Americian Medical Collection Agency or LabCorp or both parties?
    Thanks,lb
    PS
    How do you respond within 30 days of 2-14-1 when letter wasn't received till 3-10-1?
    What happened the other 26 days?
    What kind of dirty pool are they playing here???

6. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Author: lb (---.proxy.aol.com)
    Date: 03-18-01 10:25
    Ps to previous post :_As far as is known the collection hasn't been reported to any C R A .

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, then I have sent certified mail to hospital. They have not responded. I did also send to collection agency but I will just not communicate further with them.

Hospital (on phone) tried to tell me they had sold the accounts to the collection agency. I then said that, if that was the case, they cashed my checks and that was illegal. They hem and hawed after that.

It's real ugly as the collection agency reported these 4 times (4 entries) to 3 cra's.

Thanks so much!
    Carol

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Also, yes, I tried contacting the collection agency and provided proof. I sent Certified...no response and it has been 60 days.

Thanks!

9. Saar

Saar Banned

You can make one last & honest attempt, but either way, you have our blessing: Sue the bastards. It's a cut & dry situation, and you can't lose.

Having said that, no sane attorney representing the hospital would let this go to trial. They're no fools, and would want to resolve this prior to the hearing. All you have to do is help them make the right decision :)

Saar

10. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

That is really good to hear! You can imagine what four collection entries are doing to me! Ugh. I really thank you all and will update you. I will likely write one final good faith fix or I will sue letter. Then, I'll sue, if necessary. I 'll update you all. This will be my first small claims case (if there are 4 entries..do I have to sue 4 times, once for each account?---this just occurred to me!)

Thanks again!

11. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

It's one collection agency with 4 entries on each of the 3 CRA's!

I think I've read about your lawsuit! That was exciting if it was the one I'm thinking about!