question about united visa

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ero2, Aug 18, 2003.

1. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

do points expire on this card? It says

Your miles may not expire
    United Mileage Plus frequent flyer miles MAY not expire for members who earn or redeem miles at least once every 36 months.

How do you know whether or not they MAY expire?
    I found a site that offers 20,000 UA miles after first purchase, but if they expire it may not be worth it.

2. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

3. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I think when they say "your miles may never expire" it means that as long as there is some kind of activity in your frequent flyer account in a 36 month period, the miles do not expire. Activity includes flights and earning miles by charging the associated credit card (American, Continental, United, US Airways, etc).

4. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

oh, cool, then it is a good deal.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS USE SOME MILES OR EARN SOME MILES AND THE 36 MONTHS IS EXTENDED!!!

08/18/03 miles posted...expires 08/18/06 (12/31/06 to be exact...I THINK END OF YEAR)

So "IF" you never use it again...and never use any MP PARTNER...then it is NOT A GOOD DEAL...

BUT THE 15,000 miles or 20,000 miles IS STILL WORTH THE PRICE COMPARED TO PURCHASING THE MILES!!!

15,000---->$418.13
    20,000---->$577.50

$60.00/year

UPGRADE TO GOLD FOR 5,000 MILES LATER ON...($25.00 PRO-RATED @ $2.08/MONTH)

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Why would you pay a FEE of $60.00 and not use it???

You can CANCEL it after you get the mileage and RUN IT UP TO 25,000 MILES AND TAKE YOUR FREE FLIGHT...or 35,000 to HNL

...or you can do what I do and see how many miles you can get in ONE YEAR for your $60.00 or $85.00---->60,000 SILVER max not including bonuses...100,000 GOLD max

60,000/100,000 LIMIT ARE FOR PURCHASES ON THE CARD...PARTNER BONUS MILES (GIVEN BY THE PARTNER) ARE EXCLUDED

7. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

I read off of cardoffers.com that a lot of people have had a pain in the butt time using their miles after accumulating them, like it was real hard to find the flight you want using miles. Anyone have any experience with this?

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

AS FEW AS 5 (FIVE) SEATS PER FLIGHT!!!

BUT IF YOU THINK AHEAD...LIKE 300 DAYS IN ADVANCE...YOU CAN FIND SEATS!!!

YOU MUST BE VERY FLEXABLE...YOU MAY HAVE TO FLY MONDAY, TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, or THURSDAY!!! You MAY not get the time you want...yo may have to fly out at 5 or 6am!!! or even 10:30 pm and get there the NEXT DAY AM.

You could get a FREE flight for NEXT SUMMER (2004) this SEPTEMBER (2003)

9. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

so it's not as flexible as using my amex and if one company doesn't have a flight for me I may be able to transfer FF pts to another flight from a different company. Just asking, I guess, is my amex probably more flexible since there are more pts with MR pts.

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: question about united visa

The flights are there...YOU JUST HAVE TO WORK FOR IT!!!

Sometimes there are flights that just show up one month before for some reason...so you "MAY" be able to book a flight for mid SEPTEMBER 2003 right now...

I tried to book DEN~HNL 2 months ago for MAY 2004 nothing available...but I waited a couple of months...(NOW)...many flight available...

11. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

so would I still be better off using my amex because I get double pts for everyday stuff and about 90% of what I buy is everyday stuff? Plus amex sends out doube pts offers very frequently and cool offers for deals on hotels and stuff?

12. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

It depends on you, I guess. I don't personally like AMEX, told myself I'd never have another one of their cards. It's a shame, too, because I wouldn't mind some Delta miles.

As far as the United card goes, GEORGE is right. ANY activity on your account extends the expiration date to the end of the year three years later. So, if you bought a tank of gas in January, you'd have almost 4 years to use the miles if you never had any other activity.

I haven't had much trouble using the miles. As GEORGE said, you have to be a little flexible. The most trouble I had was going to Las Vegas several years ago. I was going on business, my husband was traveling with me using my miles. We had a little problem getting seats on the same flights where he had a free ticket and my company could get a discount fare for me. We finally did it by flying from Washington, DC to San Francisco, then back to Las Vegas. But it takes the same number of miles. Just a little circuitous route.