question for carreon and assoc

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lisa, Jun 5, 2000.

1. lisa

lisa Guest

I have an account with Signet Bank (now apparently Cap. One) that is on my credit report. I know it has been 8 years since I paid anything on this account but it was charged off in 2/94 according to Cap. One. I have heard that it doesn't matter when it is charged off, just when it first went delinquent so I asked them when I first missed a payment and they said they don't have any information except for that it was opened in 91 and charged off in Feb. 94. I would just wait for it to fall off in 8 months except we are going to be looking for a house. I called today and they Cap. One said they could offer me a credit card with that limit and I could just pay it off and it would not show up as a charge off on my report anymore? Is this true? I asked for something in writing and she said they don't do that. My question is this: if I do this and it still shows as a charge-off will that charge-off still have to be removed in Feb. 01 since it will then be 7 years old even though I will still have this account. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. kim

kim Well-Known Member

RE: question for carreon and a

I had an old Capital One account that was charged off, then they sent me a letter offering to open a new account and transfer balance from old account making that a PD Charge Off. I think someone else one this board had the same thing. Make sure they will take the old account off and not make it PD Charge Off, like mine is.

3. David W

David W Guest

Be very careful. I would not take the new card. I recommend working to get the charge off removed from your bureau.

Even if you don't get it removed, in most cases a good FHA lender won't require you to pay it off as a condition of your approval.

However, I have seen this situation before. A borrower had a charge off with Cap 1 and they offered them a new account with the charge-off as the starting balance on the new account.

The old account - was listed as "profit and loss" (which is derogatory)

The new account had a 30-day late pay listed with it.

Despite the fact the borrower agreed to repay the old charge-off balance and had made both payments on time (the new account was only open 2 months) they stuck another derogatory item on their credit report.

David W

4. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

You don't want any kind of a charge off on your credit report, paid or not. They are all bad.

You could try disputing the charge off based on the "last activity date" on the account since clearly they didn't charge it off the day after you missed that last payment. I'm sure there were several months of collection efforts involved. Go through your records and see if you can determine when you made the last payment on the account. The more documentation you have, the better off you will be in dealing with the CRAs and the creditor. Make the creditor prove that the item still belongs on your credit report.

As for dealing directly with the creditor if you want to pay the account, don't send them ANY money if they aren't going to give you something in writing. The deal you should be proposing to them is: I will give you X% of the charge off and you will completely remove the charged off account from my credit files at all three CRAs. They've already written your account to P&L, so anything you send them is profit (minus administrative costs).

Don't put up with any crap about them not putting anything in writing. The message to send them is "Nothing in writing? No Deal. I only have to wait 8 months and the whole thing goes away and you lose."

Don't fall for any kind of re-affirmation deal they offer you. The interest and potential for late fees just starts all over again. You don't want another account with these people.

Your debt is likely over the Statute of Limitations for collectability anyhow, so legally they can not collect the debt from you nor get a judgement or lein entered against you.

Finally, do not try to deal with whoever answers the phone. The front-line CSR most certainly doesn't have the authority to make deals on behalf of the bank like this. You will need to speak with someone in management. When you call them again, tell the CSR you are calling about a charged off account and want to speak to a manager about possible payment arrangements.

Remember the basic principle here: You have all of the leverage. If they want to salvage anything out of this account, they need to strike a deal (in writing) with you that is to your liking and whatever deal that is will include having the account removed from your credit files at all 3 CRAs.

Personally I would try and dispute it first, claiming the last payment you made was over 7 years ago and making them prove that it wasn't. The 'charge-off' is not the last 'activity' on the account.

If you choose to wait it out though, be aware of the fact that they are likely to sell the account to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar to get something out of the account and you will have to go through this all over again because the collection agency will no doubt slap it back onto your credit report using the date they acquired the account as the 'last activity' date. This is wrong and illegal. Save any correspondance you have with the origial creditor to prove it's an old debt.

The other trick they like is to put a 'collection inquiry' on your credit file which will stick around for two years. This will raise a red flag with any potential creditors. This is also illegal. If they want your credit history, they are entitled to it on the basis of 'account review' and those inquiries are not reported to poential creditors.

5. Carreonand

Carreonand Guest

This is the usual sneaky underhanded way creditors get you to pay an old debt that is otherwise uncollectable. If they promise this or that then why do they have such a problem putting it in writing? Because they have no intention of following through! These employees attend seminars and training sessions on how to manipulate and collect old debts.

Furthermore, the credit report is suppose to list it from first SERIOUS delinquency or charge off date, which ever happened last, so if it was charged off 8 years ago, then it has no business being on your reports. Dispute it to the bureaus, ignore Cap One and forget about it unless you get exactly what you want in writing! This debt is uncollectable!
    Kristi
    CarreonandAssociates.com
    Ps: Take a quick read of our dealing with debt collector page. These CSR are no different.

lisa wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I have an account with Signet Bank (now apparently Cap. One) that is on my credit report. I know it has been 8 years since I paid anything on this account but it was charged off in 2/94 according to Cap. One. I have heard that it doesn't matter when it is charged off, just when it first went delinquent so I asked them when I first missed a payment and they said they don't have any information except for that it was opened in 91 and charged off in Feb. 94. I would just wait for it to fall off in 8 months except we are going to be looking for a house. I called today and they Cap. One said they could offer me a credit card with that limit and I could just pay it off and it would not show up as a charge off on my report anymore? Is this true? I asked for something in writing and she said they don't do that. My question is this: if I do this and it still shows as a charge-off will that charge-off still have to be removed in Feb. 01 since it will then be 7 years old even though I will ....

6. lisa

lisa Guest

thanks and to clarify....

Thanks to everyone for the advice. This was charged off in 2/94 but I am reasonably sure that the last payment I made was about 18 months prior to that but I have no way to prove that. What I am wondering is this: even if they notate it as "paid charge off" as opposed to deleting it or changing it to an open account the "paid charge off" or "profit and loss writeoff" notation would still come off in Feb. 01 even if I do accept this offer, right? It doesn't restart the clock on the seven years it just restarts the clock on the time they have to legally collect it. Is that true or am I mistaken? In other words, assumming I accept the offer the worst thing that can happen is that it comes off in 8 months instead of right away, correct? Please let me know.

7. kim

kim Well-Known Member

RE: thanks and to clarify....

In my scenario, they opened a whole new account; hence, two trade lines ~ 1) PD Charge Off (balance tranferred to new account) and 2)Current - Paying as agreed.

Whent the NEW account was opened, initially I had a $600 credit limit. They transfered over $1200 to the new card, $600 which completely maxed out my limit plus $600 in special transfer. Every payment that I made was split between the two, 50% to Special Transfer, 50% to regular credit line. They've never charged me any overlimit fees, etc. The initial APR was 9.9% or something close to that, and after 6 mos of steady payments they reduced my bill by 10% and my APR is now 2.9% (will go back up if I ever miss a payment or go over my limit).

8. Eric

Eric Guest

That's an excellent deal, actually.

Question is...when does the charge-off fall off?

9. kim

kim Well-Known Member

I thought it was a great deal, too! In fact I only accepted based on the fact I would have a credit card again, plus the old one would show paid, albeit PD-Charge off really didn't matter to me at the time.

The 10% "discount" (really just all the old late fees) was a surprise in the package when I received the new card. And completely out of left field they sent me a letter reducing the APR.

The charge off will go away after 7 years from the original date of last activity, which for me will be 08/03.

10. lisa

lisa Guest

question for kim

So will the paid charge off go away 7 years from the date it was originally charged off or since you opened a new acct. did they try to do something else? Was your account a Capital One account as well?

11. kim

kim Well-Known Member

RE: question for kim

Mine was a Cap One acct. The original date of last activity is accurate and hasn't change.

However, I just reread your original post and quite honestly if the amount is substantial I wouldn't accept the offer to pay. If the account is gonna drop off in 8 months, why throw money down the drain? Especially if you have other things you need to take care of that aren't gonna drop off your report anytime soon.