QUESTION FOR THOSE WITH AMEX C

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jo, Aug 20, 2000.

1. Jo

Jo Guest

Has anyone ever had a reasonable-sized purchase declined? I haven't YET-- but @ the same time, I've been cautious and not let the balance on the card go over $1,000. On Blue, I've put almost double that w/a credit limit of $2,500....the charge card is Gold, so you'd think there would be a little bit of flexibility with purchasing- @ the same time, I don't want to risk the card being declined--- that'd look really bad. I mean, I do have some $400-$500 purchases on the card, but my palms sweat like hell while the transaction is being processed! ;-D
    So, I guess, my summarizing question here is:
    "How high can one really go with the Green/Gold Card?"
    Thanks!

2. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: QUESTION FOR THOSE WITH AM

Jo- call the statement number - it is
    800-528-4800.
    After you enter your Card number- one of the options is pre-purchase info. I am sure if
    you snap em there, the'll let you know.

JO- I also found out by e-pay, you can actually pay ahead. I chrgd About $600 so
    far - and sent in an additional $300 now.
    It shows my credit for the $300.

There are LOTS of way to use this Card! :)
    MBNA said anything yet .... :)Dog

3. T

T Guest

It works! Just follow Dogman's instructions. The system will ask for your four digit number embossed above your account number on your card. I tried $10,000 and went through fine. I have the reward plus gold card.

4. CardReport

CardReport Guest

It is apparantly possible to go fairly high with an Amex green, or especially gold, although I would expect that the upper potential depends on the cardholder's income.

While the theory is that there is no pre-set credit limit, their system decides whether to authorize a charge based partly on your general account history.

I recommend gradually increasing your monthly charges. Use the card for groceries or whatever you need to "exercise" it more. Perhaps increase your spending by $100 or so each month. The Amex authorization system will notice this, and will hopefully keep up with you by increasing the general limit range on your particular account.

Good Luck.

--
    CardReport.Com - Credit Tools, News, And Reference
    http://www.cardreport.com/
    Everything You Need To Know About Credit And Debt
    --

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

JO- Call the number !!!

JO - I just tried it...for the heck of it.
    I typed in $1000 that I may charge in the next 15 days.
    recording says no problem.

I did not want to type anything in again yet!
    BUT - this is clearly solved your worries.

6. alison

alison Guest

You're absolutely correct. Back 10 years ago, pre platinum days, I charged $4500 on my Gold Amex card. The sales girl did have to call, but the rep only verified that it indeed was me (asked security Q's). Prior to this, my charges did not exceed $600 monthly.

alison

7. Jo

Jo Guest

Wow! Thanks for the replies, everyone!
    Dog- naw, I haven't heard anything from MBNA yet, but you'll be the first to know...;-D

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Of course the next great internet application
    is that many people, thousands, could all email MBNA a disturbing message about how AMEX gave better service than MBNA.

Then, we could have you draft the letter, then send it out through email service-spamming MBNA with a thousand hits a minute.
    I'm sure it'd be easy to do.

Now for the VIDEO scenario... :) just kidding all