Question never asked here...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by M, Jan 29, 2001.

1. M

M Guest

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but perhaps somebody can answer this question.

My partner currently has the loan and all paperwork for the house in his name.

How do we go about getting my name included on the loan and all associated stuff that goes with the house?

We want to do this so that in the future we can get a loan together for home improvements.

BTW we are a gay couple if that matters.

Thanks

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: Question never asked here.

AS FAR AS I KNOW...you would have to get the mortgage companies OK first, then re-due ALL PAPERWORK, FOR A FEE OF COURSE...

You also would have to pay one-half of ALL BILLS if you are "JOINT OWNERS".

P.S. it may be better to RE-FINANCE...

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

One half of bills for the IRS benefit not for mortgage company...

4. M

M Guest

Hi George,

We were hoping to avoid trying to do the re-finance until my credit is cleared in 2002. And yes, I actually pay all the bills and he pays the house payments.

Hey Dogman, you may have been here. Any comments?

GEORGE wrote:
    -------------------------------
    AS FAR AS I KNOW...you would have to get the mortgage companies OK first, then re-due ALL PAPERWORK, FOR A FEE OF COURSE...

You also would have to pay one-half of ALL BILLS if you are "JOINT OWNERS".

P.S. it may be better to RE-FINANCE...

5. arteagle

arteagle Guest

Answer never given here

[ message removed by pbm ]

6. M

M Guest

RE: Answer never given here

[message removed by pbm ]

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

sorry single - unfortunately :(
    I think the refinance is the perfect time - also - get some credit cards in both your names.

You could form a corp - check online - you can incorporate in Delaware in 30 minytes, then try for an AMEX Small Business Corp Card.

Just some "creative" thoughts.
    CYA Dogman

8. arteagle

arteagle Guest

[ message removed by pbm ]

9. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

Whoa - what's with the flame war - This is about credit not sexuality. Can we please stay on topic. I hate it when threads becoming ever increasing name calling :-(

Kelly

10. river

river Well-Known Member

I can tell you M what we did on this end.More than likely you will have to refinance to get your name on loan,no doubt.It would have to be a coventional loan from bank or mortgage company because VA or FHA laws require that you be related by marriage.My partner got VA loan and at closing we had legal documents drawn up and signed for "joint surviviorship".We also put each other as "authorized user" on each others credit cards. This would build some foundation for re-esablihing your credit.I would recommend that you apply for several secure credit cards in your name. If there is a will,there's a way. Also,I would recommend that the both of you keep an "updated" will and filed in your local court house. Dogmans' suggestion for creating "coroprate partnership" is also a good suggestion.But,back to your question,the easiest thing for now is spend a few bucks and have "joint survivorship" documents drawn up and filed and sit tight and get your credit" back up to par" and see what happens down the road.Good luck and welcome to the board.Great info and suggestions here.Peace guy.

11. mt

mt Guest

I agree, however, I'm offended by Arteagle's previous comments -- they were not necessary.

12. Saar

Saar Banned

You're very welcome here. Don't let any troll tell you otherwise.

Saar

13. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

My partner and I have the same situation and we're currently looking for a house. I'm going to buy the house myself since I've got excellent credit, but he has a CH13 on his credit from the mess his former partner left him before he died a couple of years ago. Once his CH13 is paid and discharged, we can finance it jointly.

Basically you will have to refinance the house because most mortgage holders just won't let you add someone to a mortgage without going through the underwriting process. From the legal perspective you will have to have the property retitled from a sole owner to joint tenants or tenants of the entirety or tenants in common (whatever the term is in your state).

Some enlightened banks actually have specific programs for gay couples. They recognize that typically there is likely more disposable income and that (for most gay men) the possibility of children (and the bills that go with them) is unlikely.

I would suggest consulting an attorney who is a member for the tribe that does real estate so that he can advise you on how to best proceed in your state of residence and in addition establish the legal protections necessary in case something happens to one of you and the biological family decides to get vindictive or cause other kinds of trouble.

Good luck. It's not easy, but not impossible.

14. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

You know, I thought we'd be over this already with the "Kathy and her free computer" saga that degenerated into homophobic flaming.

I'd like to know why the subsequent postings were removed by the PBM, while the one referring to narth and dr laura is still there?

This kind of behavior is completely irrelevant to this board. This board is for ANYONE & EVERYONE with credit issues whether they sleep with member of the same sex, the opposite sex, or a giant stuffed-toy hippopotamus named Herman. (No, I don't. Stop snickering) The situation at hand can be analgous to a hetero couple who chooses not to get married for perfectly legitimate reasons.

15. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Maybe you should........

Stop posting unles you can offer "CREDIT" advice. your comments are NOT welcome!!

16. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Maybe you should not concern yourself with other peoples way of life. You have posted here before and every time you do it some smart ass remark. Personally, I think you are a jerk. If you want to post why don't you make it relevant to the question that was asked? If you can't do that, I, and I'm sure others, would say GET LOST!

17. Rainy Day

Rainy Day Guest

I was told that you would have to be married and it is called simle assumptions and without being married you would have to refinance

18. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Herman the Hippo? / X Answer

Herman told me he was faithful to me in the San Fran Zoo.

FYI - I am just now seeing this string - and all I saw are the 3 "posts removed" SO I did not read them.

But thx all - we all know and appreciate each others, styles, comments, etc.

FRANKLY - I could care less who sleeps with who or what. And everybody here is an adult and obviously has the lifestyle they want.
    I worry MUCH MORE about our fabulous liberal new president.

Whoever the @!#$ this dude thinks he is - I bet if he saw me on the street in SF, he would not have a fucking clue that I was
    sleeping with whatever sex I wanted. I bet he'd think I was nothing but straight in appearance.

I bet the @!#$ would like it when I decked his ass, then threw his worthless butt in front of a cable car. One skidding out of control, on a rain/mist night.

I know everyone on this board knows my normal polite style - sarcastic and humorous as it always is.

This judgemental jerk and his comments hit me double hard - as you friends know.

I bet he does not have an AMEX Card!
    I don't appreciate judgement of any kind - its not my concern or business what anyone anywhere wants/chooses to do.

CYA Dogman

19. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Lifestyles

Hi Mom - look at the lifestyle you have - husband, kids - soon to have a nice home this year - its great!

My M/D are stilling waiting! I guess they will wait a while longer :)

20. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

:)