Question..

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Desdemona, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Desdemona

Desdemona Well-Known Member

I know that this has nothing to do with credit repair but I know there are some fellow posters who can answer this.

How is you can track what ISP everybody is using? I notice that in some post our IPS address some show the numerical number (i.e. 207.108.04.6) while other post show the domain name (i.e. proxy.aol.com). I am receiving emails regarding credit repair, consolidate your debt emails along those lines. I have tried the â??remove me from your listâ? reply but I just get more. I think whoever it is, is using a â??spiderâ? spam software program. I would like to report them to their ISP.

Thanks
    Desdemona

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

DON'T USE REMOVE FROM E-MAIL LIST...just delete it.

3. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Desdemona,
    Long time...

First the IP# and the words are translate-able and how you translate any address to an IP# through a domain name server...for instance your domain:

[ameritech.net]
    Translated Name: ameritech.net
    IP Address: 206.141.252.100

You can also (through a "Whois" server) get some additional contact information about your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

Only the board supervisors (PBM and Creditnet) have access to your whole IP# so in essence no "outsider" can really track EXACTLY who you are from the number or address listed in your postings.

However in some cases you can get close just from the portion that is displayed by reverse tracing (TraceRoute) the IP number to see approximately where it originated from and how it got here.

I know that is an aside but you should know that NO ONE can find out who you are from the portion of your IP address posted on the board.

-Dave

4. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Sorry, I forgot about the email...about the spam just ignore it...George is right, do NOT reply or try to be removed. If you do, they will know they have a real person and not a "faked" email address.

If you ignore them..they will eventually dwindle off and stop sending them (hopefully)

-Dave

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

F.Y.I. ALL MY E-MAIL IS REQUESTED E-MAIL...except an occasional insurance and mortgage ad e-mails which are ok...

...I delete the insurance e-mails without reading...

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

i delete all my mail unless it has my friends and recognized business'names on it before opening.

roni

7. Desdemona

Desdemona Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I have tried ingoring the emails but I have been getting 1 or 2 a day lately, just today I received 3 and its just a pain. The subject lines include... In Debt.. Get Out With Ease. Or my personal favor.. Still Owe Money??? Just the last thing some who is having credit trouble wants to see. I know it's petty but I thought maybe there was something I could do. My ISP Ameritech.net doesn't offer online email, so I have to use Outlook Express. Small price you have to pay for DSL service. OL Express does not offer any filtering so I'm just stuck with it. Thanks Dave.

8. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Outlook does filter email

Almost ALL email clients have filtering capabilities. Outlook Express has one as well...the best filter I have set is one where your email address "XXX@XXX.COM" is NOT in the TO: field ... most likely that means it is spam...you don't have to set it to auto delete, you can have it moved into a "junk mail" folder for you to review.

In Outlook Express 5.0 there are 2 types of actions yu can take, Just go to - "TOOLS" - "MESSAGE RULES" - "MAIL" or "TOOLS" - "MESSAGE RULES" - "BLOCKED SENDERS LIST"

You should see my email box :) I get 100-150 email a day junk and biddness related.

To put things in perspective though, deleting them does not hurt the environment in any way and takes only seconds out of your day...But from my REAL "snail" mail box I throw out about 20 or more peices of crap junk mail each day...most are multipage, and some are downright ridiculous! That is more of an invasion, more annoying, and far more expensive, not to mention gotta be filling up our landfills with shlock that need not be there. And it takes me 30 minutes to sift through the crap from the stuff I need to read.

Deleting junk email is just part of the millenia we are now fully a part of, and need to learn to live with.

-Dave

9. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Re: Outlook does filter email

Speaking of junk email. I've been getting 6-9 per day. Not sure how it started, but the filter (Eudora) is of little help as these guys are changing names or topics.

I do know that some of my spams are picked up from eBay.com

The funniest one I received was a "Make your peni* bigger" spam.

Best regards,
    Sam