Questions about Collection Agency

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by CuriousGeo, Apr 16, 2002.

1. CuriousGeo

CuriousGeo Well-Known Member

Is it best to pay off collection agencies in hopes of writing a goodwill letter to ask for its removal. I'm not following well in reguards to oweing $51 to Time Warner and not paying it... What action should I take?

Time Warner Balance: $51. March 2002
    The I just saw it on the Credit Report. What steps should I take? Also I have a $147 ca for Chevron from 96. Should I pay this or will it automatically come off in time?

2. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

Leave Chevron alone. It will come off next year. Do not pay a CA unless you get them to say, in writing, that they will delete the entry when paid. A paid collection is no better than an unpaid collection. The fact that the account went to collection in the first place is what hurts you - not whether it's paid or not.

3. javan

javan Well-Known Member

Have you sent validation letters for these two accounts?

4. CuriousGeo

CuriousGeo Well-Known Member

Never sent a validation letter... IS there a newbie download kit to get the proper forms?

5. AntBubba

AntBubba Member

I have a similar question.

I recently was approved for a mortgage with the agreement that some really old debts would be paid off.

I had an old account for an old Water Bill that was sent to collection. The total was $97.00 (76.00 original amount balance is interest)

I went ahead and paid the original creditor, which I know pissed off the collection agency. As per the original creditor, I am paid in full with them. The CA refuses to acknowledge payment in full until I pay off the interest amount.

They have also refused to take this off my credit report or update it as paid in full.

Any suggestions on how to deal with the CA. Any specific letter I should write?

Thanks in advance :)

Deb