Questions about FCNB & Spi

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ryan, Nov 1, 2000.

1. ryan

ryan Guest

Hi all,

Couple questions on FCNB & Spiegel....here's my situation. I've had the Secured & More Visa for a couple months now. I started out with a $250 credit line. My first bill was $200, I paid $150. My second bill was $150, I paid $75, and increased my credit line to $750 (with a $250 deposit).

OK, my questions are:

1) Is FCNB likely to offer me a Spiegel card in the future? And if they do send out "preapproved" offers, how long do they usually take after you've had an account?

2) How successful has anyone been in getting them to lower the interest rate on your accounts? 20% is a little high.

I read through a few old posts, but was just wondering if anyone had more recent experiences!

Thanks in advance!
    Ryan

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

RE: Questions about FCNB &

i have fcnb card visa put up $3000 deposit for a credit line of $4500 so i have 1500 unsecured credit. i'm into my third billing statement but haven't seen an increase yet but expect one at the 6th or 7th month of the acct. but i did apply for instant credit in an eddie bauer store. i have some bad credit from several years past but they did approve me for the fcnb eddie bauer card for $250.00 so i am very pleased with them and they seem to be accomodating. i also opened a mc and sent in a $4000 deposit and rec'd a credit line of $6000 on it. i used the funds to buy a laptop computer and cash advanced the rest to get some of my deposit back. after i used it for the laptop purchase i called and closed the acct and asked that they apply the $4000 funds towards the bal so i won't have to pay interest on the $4000 balance of my own money so after it's all said and done i will only owe them the $2000 unsecured credit on the card and i was able to finance my laptop purchase. i think of them pretty highly. so seem to be really accomodating. try for the eddie bauer or spiegel maybe they will give you a starter limit. after 6 mos they will up your limit i am told.

3. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

Joe,

I just opened an FCNB MC, and I have a couple of questions you might be able to help me with.

If I send in a personal check to add to my deposit, how long does it take for my credit limit to be increased? How much faster is it if I send in a money order or cashiers check?

Also, what tends to be the cash advance limit? Is it your line of credit?

Thanks.

4. ryan

ryan Guest

I sent a money order to increase my CL, and it took about 10 days total. They told me that a personal check might take up to twice as long (for the check to clear). If you're in a real hurry, you can do western union also.

For the first year you have the card, the cash advance limit is 50% of your credit limit.

Good luck,
    ryan

5. lostinplac

lostinplac Guest

If FCNB sends you a preapproved offer for a credit line that is 200% of whatever you deposit, does that also include also, any additional deposits you send in later? That is, if you are preapproved for 200% of your initial deposit, does that include each deposit thereafter too, at 200% of whatever additional deposits you send in? Just trying to clarify, and thanks to those who have time to reply, lostinplace

6. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

FCNB told me I get the initial rate for one month, then after that it depended on how I used my card and my payment history. Others might have had different experiences.

7. ryan

ryan Guest

My initial CL was 200% of my deposit...same for the second deposit I sent in about 2 months later. I think I may try calling them before the next one and "negotiating" for a 300% increase =)

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I experienced this one. READ this.
    I had about $1000 line a couple of yrs ago.
    My credit was 150% of deposit. $1500 cl.

a year back maybe, they sent me the good guy add your deposit and we may give you 300% deposit. I sent in $500, expecting an additional 1500 credit - nope, added $500!

I got an offer from a REP offering me 400% deposit for credit limit.
    I send in $800, they told me they'd give me
    $3200.

MICK and some others on the board told me if you wait, you'll get an unsecured offer.
    THX to them, I used my credit strength - and tore up the document and did not send them a dime.

Hell, I now carry AMEX Green. I will never
    get another secured card.
    Dogman