RE: AmEx Cobalt

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ccie_2be, Jun 25, 2001.

1. ledo

ledo Well-Known Member

Re: PICKY???? I Can't Imagine......

Do they do a credit check?

2. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

Nope!

3. ledo

ledo Well-Known Member

cool - thanks!

4. Cyprigirl

I used my Cobalt card today and everywhere I used it , people loved the card. Everyone kept asking is this a new card?

I am loving my Cobalt card, it really is a cool looking card, it's almost like a toy :)

Although, admittedly (MP) it is a little thinner than regular cards. i love it. I intend to load it up for my vacation this year.

Cyprigirl:)

5. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

See...I told you!

Told you so......

Cheap card w/ GREAT benifits! Not bad for FREE!!!!

6. Cyprigirl

Re: See...I told you!

Indeed!

7. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

All of this "my card is too thin, whine, whine" has completely piqued my curiosity. My Cobalt Card was approved last week, and I'LL BE THE JUDGE of its inherent thinness or thickness, by golly. (Oh for goodness sakes, how thin could it be in comparison with the other cards. Anybody have a ruler that measures millimeters?) :) :) :)

I realize that anybody can qualify for the Cobalt Card (I'm guessing), but -- still -- it looks like it's becoming the Official Creditnet Cult Card -- the one to have. I'm going to enjoy using it here and there around town. When people ask about its status, I'll probably say something like, "Oh yeah, it's pretty elite." Cough, cough.

Randy

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THERE IS PROBABLY ONLY 1 OR 2 COMPANIES THAT MAKE THE "PLASTIC"...WHY WOULD THEY MAKE CHANGES TO THEIR ASSEMBLY PRODUCTION LINE EXCEPT TO CHANGE COLORS???

THICK AND THIN???

9. Cyprigirl

Well welcome to the club, Randy! :)

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I'm excited about Cobalt..

why wouldn't someone get it? If I get asked if its a new Card - I'll tell the truth - I'm BETA testing a new card for Amex.

IT DOES LOOK SHARP!

remember - my message says the card has been shipped - when I get it I type in some code on the card - like the AMEX GREEN CARD has a small four digit ID # over the regular number.

It costs nothing - but I bet it will in a year or so!
    I only charged $100 over to the Cobalt - but you can store $2K - that's reasonable. I used my bank Visa Gold Check Card and charged the deposit - it went as a purchase of course.

It is amusing how in this day and age, the consumer has the ability to snap cash via internet from one piece of plastic to another.

It amuses me to think that sitting here, I can move money on the cards in my wallet. I can transfer Visa Gold Check Card 2 Nextcard - could cash advance
    Nextcard credit down to the Amex Green - could use AMEX travelers check to deposit cash into Visa Checking - which could pay the Nextcard or Amex or.... I friggin love technology! :)

The goal for a sleek look at my Coach wallet:
    5 card slots on the right:
    1-Visa Gold Check Card - yeah
    2-Nextcard - yeah baby
    3-AMEX Green Card - yeah baby yeah
    4-AMEX Gold Card - waiting 4 offer
    4-AMEX Blue Card - waiting 4 offer
    Cobalt will go above my DL and security IDS on the left side of the smooth, tan, glove soft Coach leather .... :)

GO COBALT !!!! Dogman

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: I'm excited about Cobalt..

Oh yeah, dog, you got it. Fun, huh?

breeze

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi BREEZE!!!!

Thats why we all want it. I think I'll try to buy beer and see if they Card me LOL!

arfingly yours - dogman

13. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Re: Hi BREEZE!!!!

In terms of the thickness, the Colbat card feels the same as my new VISA debit card from Bank One.

Got the card exactly one week after I applied.

Looks like the funding via credit card or debit card (no fee) has been extended to July 13.

I have a question, will I be able to use this card to pay for dinner, if dinner also included a beer?

Best regards,
    Sam

14. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: Hi BREEZE!!!!

Well, hey! Somebody should test this. It may just be propaganda. How does the computer know what you bought for dinner?

breeze

15. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cyprigirl, LOL!

Ok, I'm now holding my brand new Cobaltcard from American Express. Here's what *I* think about it. Ahem...

1) It's about 60-65% the thickness of a regular AmEx card, but still far thicker -- like almost twice as thick -- as the flimsily bendable ClickCiti MasterCard from Citibank. (In any event, as everyone knows, it's not the thickness that counts, it's the length that matters so far as ATM machines are concerned.) So... We should call an immediate moratorium on the whining, imho. :)

2) It's a beautiful dark cobalt blue (duh). Really nice looking. American Express is a luminescent silver at the top of the card, and the rest of the card is trimmed in reflective silver -- the square, the embossing, etc. Somebody deserves an A+ for graphic design.

3) Well, there is no third point, but this list looked pretty sparse with just two.

Incidentally, I'm going to use Cobaltcard for most internet purchases. It looks like a safe way to transact online. Rather than exposing my regular cards' full lines of credit (or worse, my debit card linked to my regular checking account), this provides a terrific buffer that I can use one transaction at a time if I feel like it.

Thanks, American Express! :)

Randy

16. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

DINNER CHARGE MENU VERIFICATION

pretty soon kids and teens will tip waiters an extra 20% to write up a Budweiser as a Coke if they snap their Cobalt! :)

17. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Re: DINNER CHARGE MENU VERIFICATION

I think I might be getting one soon. I went to Costco today (it's like Sam's Club, for those who don't know) and they only take Amex! I'd debated when this thread started if I wanted to get it and was like, "Nah". WELL, I had to shell out $130 in cash that I wasn't prepared to do because I didn't have an Amex card. :(

Anyhow, since I'm not ready for Amex yet (what kind of FICO should I have again?) I guess I'll have to get the Cobalt for Costo (hey, a tongue twister!)

Oh yeah, and Amex has a special PLATINUM Costco card and the cashier was like, just apply and I said, "Oh, HELL NO! I won't take an inquiry hit to be denied". She just looked at me puzzled...some people just don't understand! :)

18. Cyprigirl

go for it Shantel, they don't do credit checks, so no inquiry.

GO COBALT, GO COBALT, GO COBALT:) LOL

Don't mind me I am just in a silly mood.

19. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

I know the look. On Friday I visted the local 4th of July festival here in town and Action Card had a booth. If you filled out an application you get some cheap toy as a gift. You should see all those hard inquires flocking to the table.

Best regards,
    Sam