Reactivate or Keep Closed?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by IamBuzzed, Apr 26, 2001.

1. IamBuzzed

IamBuzzed Well-Known Member

I have an old Discover account open in 1995. I have closed it previously with a balance and now that the balance is almost gone, should i reopen it or keep it closed? I have defaulted many times with late payments on it tho. But this is my oldest card. THx

2. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat with you. I have a Discover account that while it was never charged off was 90 days late. The account is listed as closed at credit grantor's request.

The account will be paid off next month. I don't know if i should leave it closed and dispute it until it is deleted from my reports or if I should ask if they will reopen it so I can rehabilitate it somehow. It is by far my oldest account (over 10 years old).

3. IamBuzzed

I am thinking of letting Junum do their thing and then after wards I would like to reopen the account. I think thats the best way to go for this card.

4. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

That raises a good question. If one is successful in deleting an account that is paid but was delinquent and that account is later reopened will the record of the deliquencies come back? When a company reports to a CRA do they report historical data every month or do they just report for the current month?

5. IamBuzzed

Hmmm..never thought of that..you do have a legitimate claim. I am inclined to think that they only report current data and the CRAs keep a track of the reports from the past. Not sure, can anyone confirm?