Rebuilding credit,what kind of

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bill c, Nov 30, 2000.

1. bill c

bill c Guest

I have Providian visa Gold and Providian M.C.,Ialsoo have Sterling M.C and Visa. I recieved preapproved for Amoco and Walmart. Would these be worthwhile to add? And do they report to the CRAs? Thanks

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Rebuilding credit,what kin

Could you please tell us what kind of credit problems you are rebuilding from. Bankruptcy?, collections(paid/unpaid), judgements and how long ago and all counts. That would help me answer your question.

roni

3. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Walmart reports to all three.

4. bill c

bill c Guest

I have student loan 120 late which have been paid but listed as charge off 120 days late. Also, I have a 1995 fedreal tax lien which I am making payments on and which I would like to figure out how to remove.Thanks Roni, You always seem to come up with excellent advice.

5. bill c

bill c Guest

Thanks,Doug.

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Well the student loans are gonna hurt you. The lax lien I heard is a killer. I would have to say you must play it safe. Capital one and Orchard Bank is your best bet. I think a unpaid lax lien may limit your chances with Citibank. But you may have a shot. Honestly, it is worth the inquiry. The lax lien is gonna stay probably but you could dispute it. That is something that I am scared of and do not know anything about. YOu are lucky to have providian. And you have 2 cards. That is not bad. I think the preapprovals say that your credit is not so bad. I certainly dont get any preapprovals. Also, is the tax lien on all 3 reports?

roni

7. bill c

bill c Guest

Roni, the tax lien is not on my Equifax report, but on the others.I disputed the student loan online with Equifax, and will check on that in a few days.That would totally clear my credit there.I just wondered what would help me more, visa mc cards or a Walmart or amoco card to improve my credit line. The student loan is on all my reports. They ressurected this one from 1983 and started reporting it in 1999.Great,huh.

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

That is awful about the student loans. You might be better rehabilitating the loan if it is a large amount. That is if you have not already repaid it. I dont think retail cards are as important as some have made out. I think you should get cards according to your own needs. Limit your cards to 5 lines. This is especially true for someone with a short credit history or a blemished credit history. Too many accounts, especially new ones hurts scores more for people with blemished credit or new credit. Do you need a gas card. Do you normally use amoco. If so, get it. If you are a Walmart addict, get it. But I think most retail cards have high aprs. and should be avoided. But that is just what I think. You want a card which will give you the highest credit limit to enhance your ratios. This is for score boosting purposes only. You already made a great choice with Providian. Dont go applying for prime cards with the student loans defaults. I have SL defaults and I get no where with them. Amoco turned me down also. Or was it EXxon, Anyway it is really up to you. I would go for the easiest to get and most needed. Also remember, preapprovals dont mean much these days. So be careful with the inquiries. Good Luck.

roni.