received dmb titanium card BIG

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by peeper, Oct 27, 2000.

1. peeper

peeper Guest

Today i received my dmb secured card.They say i've been upgraded to a titanium card.Big deal have a 500.00 limit with only 100.00 available for cash advance.Why do banks use names like gold,platinum or titanium when there no better than a classic card?Do they think because we had past credit problems that were stupid?

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: received dmb titanium card

It used to be that a gold or platinum card came with certain required level of benefits and a minimum credit line of $5K and perhaps that made the cardholder feel special. However, mastercard and visa changed their rules to allow these cards to be issued at limits below 5K. Since the change, a platinum or gold card still must offer the benefits but the terms no longer imply a high limit. Take the $200 limit Capital One iron pyrite card, for instance. I don't know what the hell a titanium card is. Maybe you should call and ask dmb how the card differs from a classic card and let us know. I'm curious.

3. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Is your card a Direct Rewards card? My original MasterCard was the standard black Rewards card, and I was "upgraded" to DR Titanium 9 months later with no additional benefit or limit increase (tho the card looked SO much better!). Mine is unsecured.

BTW, you think $100 cash advance for $500 limit is bad? My Universal card has a $5K limit, but only $100 for cash advances!

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Back in the olden days...the 80's and 90's...a silver card was up to $4,999 with few if any benifits.
    A gold card was $5,000+ and had benifits.
    If you can now get a gold, platinum or titinum card with a credit line of $200 they all mean nothing, i guess.

5. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

there is no difference what so ever with their titanium card . Just a better look ! I got that to and i called . Atleast i wanted the DMB titanium with rate rewards . But they couldn;t make the change . it's a joke .

6. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

So far, I've not noticed that any company has made such a joke of the platinum card, but I'm sure someone somewhere is working on it.

On the bright side, I guess that while these companies have made a joke out of the gold and titanium cards, they will impress the hell out of any convenience store clerk who takes the time to look at the card you're carrying. If you're on the prowl late at night, it might get you lucky! ;-)

7. bg

bg Guest

Doris shame on you, get your mind out of the gutter girl!! LOL!

8. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Well, can you think of any other purpose for such joke cards if they aren't even providing the perks that go with gold or titanium cards? When I get that stumped, the old mind goes directly to the gutter! ;-)