Received My First Prime Offer

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cadillac408, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone:

Just wanted to keep you guys informed. I got my first offer from Discover for a Platinum card w/ a 0% teaser rate! I couldn't believe it! I have gotten this offer before from them but not since 96 when my credit was good! I know you guys think that I'm crazy but I'm really happy. I'm under the impression that this is a sign that some things have changed on my credit report??? Judgments are gone maybe??? I was just surprised that the *invitation* had MY name on it.....not like the Capital One pre approved offer that they sent in a Fed/Ex looking packaging that I thought as for me but turned out to me for my dad (we have the same first initial and last name and I was so excited that I just glanced at the name....but he has never lived here or co-signed for me on anything? Anyways...).

Results of my judgment disputes will be in sometime next week hopefully so when I get my updated copies of my reports from Experian and TransUnion, I'll know exactly what's going on.

The first line of the invitation reads:

"This probably isn't the first Platinum Card invitation you've every received. But it could well be the last you need to read."

<snickering> Yeah, right!

Don't let me confuse anyone. This is a *Pre-Selected* offer which don't mean Jack but still....it was in my name! The last offer I got was for some b.s. visa that had so many fees that it was ludicrous! I can't remember who was issuing it but it went right in the trash. Before that was the offer from Providian. That's it. That's all the offers that I've gotten since 96!

Should I go ahead and humor them and apply? PLEASE........I THINK NOT!!!!! I'm on the "No inquiry" wagon like Roni! ;-D

2. Killer

Killer Guest

RE: Received My First Prime Of

Don't fall of the wagon! I need to join you!

3. Eboni

Eboni Guest

I wish I could find the site

I live in an Rich area and I get those offers all the time. I also seemed to get more after I registered to vote as a Republican (probably a coincidence).

Anyway there is a website that you can input your sipcode and it breaks do the demographics of the Area. If you live in an area with nice Demographics you get those kidn of offers.

Citibank offers me a Platinum Card everyother week, so does Discover.

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

is there room??

For me on the wagon too:)

5. Eboni

Eboni Guest

You Are where you live!

Check this site out! You input your address and it tells you the demographics. Credit Card Companies use this information to send out offers.

http://www.dellvader.claritas.com/YAWYL/Default.wjsp

6. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

congrats Mp40..!!
    If you don't sent it out next month they will send you a preapproved offer instead of a preselected . That's what happenned with me . Good luck .

7. Cadillac408

RE: I wish I could find the si

Well the area that I live in isn't Rich at all! It's a step up from the ghetto actually.

You think the reason why I got this offer was because they saw Am/Ex on my reports??? I do have (had but closed...still paying) a Platinum card w/ First USA. Could that of been what they were talking about when they said that this probably wasn't my first Platinum card invite??? My guess is that it's the Am/Ex showing up.

I have been a customer of Citibank for 8 years. They have NEVER sent me an offer. They send the Platinum offer to my boyfriend all the time though....

8. Eboni

Eboni Guest

RE: I wish I could find the si

I'm not trying to pour rain on your parade. These companies just send out these pre-selected cards like candy. I get them all the time and my credit is 10 times worse than yours.

9. Carrot

Carrot Guest

Apply for the card, and make sure you list me as an authorized user!:)

10. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

RE: You Are where you live!

Well, Well, Well,

Don't expect me to receive any platinum offers then (well except my alumni offers) I'm in the middle of redneck country according to them. Hehehe

I guess they don't call our capital Cow Town for nothing.

Kelly

11. mj

mj Well-Known Member

MP-

I used to get those all the time - they aren't pre-approved (like that means anything anyway) ... and after 12 of them I responded to a resounding decline.

I'd hold off until you see your credit report. Why waste the inquiry.

Also, be careful with Discover - they are great with 0% teasers, which climbs up to 14.99%... then when you try to lower it, they offer another teaser (2.9%) which, if you accept, will suck any and all payments you send them, leaving your previous balance at 14.99% untouched.

Good luck to you!

12. Cadillac408

I never said Pre-Approved....

Hi MJ,

I never said that the offer was pre-approved. It was a *pre-selected* offer that don't mean jack!

Believe me, I am not wasting any inquiries on Discover (I'm on the wagon, remember?). I have no interest in this card what so ever just for the mear fact that where I live, NO ONE accepts them except for Macy's (I think?). Discover is not in my future of cards to obtain AT ALL!

The reason why I was excited was that I use to receive the offer but when my credit went to hell, it stopped! Now all of the sudden it's back??? I don't know the reasoning behind that but I'm assuming that I must of met SOME type of requirement for them to even waste the paper. And of course I'm not crazy enough to apply because I already know the outcome.

13. mj

mj Well-Known Member

RE: I never said Pre-Approved.

Hey MP-

Good therapy for folks "on the wagon" - sign-up for AreditAbility or one of the other credit monitor sites and watch your credit change before your very eyes : )

Best-
    MJ