Recently paid collection

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by litigate02, Jan 7, 2011.

1. litigate02

litigate02 New Member

Hello All,

I've been reading through several posts over the last couple of days trying to figure out what to do in my current situation. I've come across several threads that seem close, but I'm still having a little trouble deciding how to apply the information to my particular case. Here my situation:

In March of 2010 I made a major move from TX to MA. In doing so I transferred all utilities to my room mate's name paying them all in full except for the gas bill (Atmos Energy) which insisted on sending out a paper bill for the final amount. I could have sworn I gave them my parents address for the final bill (I always use them as my permanent address and I didn't have a place in MA yet). Anywho, the bill was sent to the old address in TX and I never heard anything about it (I should have been more on top of it but I was going through a major move new job etc...).

The bill eventually got sent to collection and reported to the CRA's (on Sept. 1 2010). This dropped my excellent score of 766 (I've never had a blemish on my credit and I'm 38) all the way down to 643. I wasn't well versed on what to do in these situations and called the CA and tried to make a deal to pay in full for removal. He refused, but seemed nice enough and suggested I call the OC directly as he had no control. I called the OC who informed me that he could take the payment directly, recall the debt from the CA and have it removed. He quoted a price $26 less than the CA which I paid. A month later I check and the collection is still there with an updated debt of $26... I call the OC again explain to them what happened and paid the $26. This time they told me they can't remove the collection... I asked him about the CA because even when dealing with them they required I make the check out to Atmos Energy. Turns out the CA is just an in-house group working with Atmos, so they still own the debt...

So here are my questions:

1. If they own the debt why can they not have it removed?
    2. The collection shows up as CA not OC on the CR yet I paid the OC directly (with receipts) can this be used to my advantage?
    3. I checked my CR today and there are discrepancies on the amount owed between the different reporting agencies (2 show the $26 and TU shows the full $177. Again any leverage here?

I know I'm responsible for this debt which is why I paid it, but the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime. Also, they suggested they would remove it originally... wish I had gotten that in writing... Would a nicely worded GoodWill letter be applicable here? Who would I send it to the OC or their "CA"?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. BCOHEN2010

BCOHEN2010 Well-Known Member

I don't think you have any leverage at this point, because you paid, thereby admitting the debt is valid. If you had instead disputed the debt and let sufficient time pass, eventually you might have been able to settle for a small fraction of the amount allegedly owed, or perhaps gotten a pay-for-delete.

In any case, I don't even "sweat' my credit scores, as my credit is already in the toilet due to job loss, etc. So I wouldn't even bother trying to get rid of any of the collection accounts on there. In 7 years, assuming I don't default on anything else, I should supposedly have good credit again.

3. litigate02

litigate02 New Member

Yeah, I'm not expecting too much. I wish I had known a little more about the process before I tried to deal with this, but I panicked when I saw and all I could think of was trying to take care of it ASAP. I was hoping I could at least try the simple obvious steps of either a GoodWill letter to the OC or disputing on some basis with the CRA's and bank on the off chance the CA doesn't respond. Would either of those attempts have any negative effects? Also which one should I start with (given I should try at all)?

4. JMason

JMason Well-Known Member

Did you pay the bill? If so, there's not much you can do. If TRU is showing the incorrect information, then write a dispute letter to them.