Redating Chargeoff Each Month?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Nice Guy, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Nice Guy

Nice Guy Guest

I have a question...can a creditor report a new charge-off date each month. The reason I ask is as follows.

A debt was charged off originallt in 4/1996, scheduled to drop off in 4/2003. This was included in a Ch 13 BK filed in 11/1996. Each month, however, the charge off date is updated to the current month, i.e. 2/2001. All previous charge off dates are listed at the CRA's, but since the date is always uodated, the 7 year clock restarts each month. Is this legal, is there anything I can do about it?

I disputed six months ago with all CRA's that current status should be "Included in BK as of 11/1996". They all corrected, but each month, the new information overwrites it.

Please help, anyone, please!

2. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Well-Known Member

Re: Redating Chargeoff Each Mo

I'm having this happen, too. One creditor continues to report charged off, changing the chargeoff date every month. Though this debt was discharged almost a year ago, it has never been listed as included in BK. When I dispured, the creditor verified to all three CRAs that it is reporting correctly.

3. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

Cap1 is doing the same

on one of my reports. This acct was charged-off back in 96. I'm not worried though. If necessary, I will show them a copy of my last payment.

4. DR

DR Guest

Banks commit FRAUD, I believe

I believe your cases are examples of fraud. Under California law, and I suspect most states are similar, fraud has a specific legal definition. Specifically:

CALIFORNIA CODES CIVIL CODE SECTION 3294-3296 3294. (c) (3) "Fraud" means an intentional misrepresentation, deceit, or concealment of a material fact known to the defendant with the intention on the part of the defendant of thereby depriving a person of property or legal rights or otherwise causing injury.

I believe by changing the report date the banks are concealing a material fact.

Check your local law via the Internet and go after the banks for fraud.

5. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: Banks commit FRAUD, I beli

When I disputed, the creditor verified to all three CRAs that it is reporting correctly: How can repeating the same error to a CRA that was reported in the first place be called verification?????????
    l b
    ==========================================================
    Author: ShyGuy (209.249.158.---)
    Date: 03-05-01 07:14

I'm having this happen, too. One creditor continues to report charged off, changing the chargeoff date every month. Though this debt was discharged almost a year ago, it has never been listed as included in BK. When I dispured, the creditor verified to all three CRAs that it is reporting correctly.