Refinance Car Loan

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by GVieve, Aug 15, 2003.

1. GVieve

GVieve Well-Known Member

When I got my car in Feb 02, my fico was a miserable 538 so I got dinged on my payment. My score is now 631. How do I go about refinancing? Never did it before, so I have no clue. It was a preowned car when I bought it.

Any ideas?

2. poobybear

poobybear Well-Known Member

From my experience, as long as you have on time payments for at least 12 months, you can refinance with the same institution. We refinanced through the credit union that initially gave us the loan, at a much lower interest rate, we went from 11% to 7%, about 2 years ago. Try a credit union, or the bank from which you have the loan. You just have to go in and speak with someone in the loans department.

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

You probably need to check the value first. If you're "upside down" (owe more than the value), you may not be able to refinance. If the loan balance is less than the value, you should follow the above advice and go to a bank or credit union and talk to them. They'll make the check out to the institution that has the loan now, so you won't get the money.

4. mcdavis4

mcdavis4 Well-Known Member

Go to edmunds.com or kbb.com and you can enter your car info. It will give you the car value. Then check your payoff to see if you are upside down. This info will get you started.

Michelle

5. allen074

allen074 Well-Known Member

fyi dont waste your time with eloan or peoplelast - they wont take anyone below a 720 - i know cuz i tried twice

they will sell your app about 10x each :)