Removal at 6 years & 9 Months?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kingfish, Oct 2, 2003.

1. kingfish

kingfish Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any items that have recently fallen off prior to the magic 7 year mark? I have an item (my last one, finally!!) that is due to come off in January '04, and was looking to hear from people to learn what to expect.

Have you had early removal, and if so, how far short of 7 years did it get removed?

Thanks for your help!

2. pd11604

pd11604 Well-Known Member

Try disputing with CRA as "OBSOLETE" they may remove it. I have heard from others here that you can expect it to drop off by itself 1 month before 7 yrs are up

3. ShaleDC

ShaleDC Well-Known Member

The CRAs use software to routinely scan through the millions of reports and expunge outdated information (i.e. past the 7-yr limit). This software periodically cycles through all reports, looking for this old data, and when it encounters it, it expunges the record.

If the software reaches your account before the 7 year mark, but won't cycle through it again until after the 7 year mark, then your item gets deleted a few months early. They probably cycle through every four or five months, so you may get lucky if, say the next delete cycle isn't until 1 month after the 7 yr limit.

Steve

4. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

WHAT ?!?! lol

There really is no such thing as a "credit report" sitting around in their system waiting for someone to ask for it.

It's actually Billions of bits of information floating around in the universe of their massive storage systems. When a report is requested, the system searches everything, extracts those items that belong to you (meet the search criteria) and segragates all that info.. Then they run it through their scoring systems. AFTER that happens, it runs that data onto a report format and onto your report. In that process, it's helpfull to imagine a filtration system which excludes information which antedates the report date by more than 7 years, those are merely excluded from the conventional commercial or consumer report.

The FULL FACTUAL report is a different story. That's where ALL your info. is reported. That's why it's not deleted.

All very quickly, of course.

So your report is actually compiled every time one requests it.

:)

5. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

But anyway to answer Kings question.

I'd just go ahead and dispute it. They probably won't waste their time.

6. ShaleDC

ShaleDC Well-Known Member

I used the term "credit report" somewhat loosely. Yes I know that there is no single file, but rather a serious of relational data tables containing many bits of interlinked (joined) information. However, each recorded person has a data table with many data elements or codes which link or join to other data tables, say for instance, the tables containing Discover card records.

THERE IS SOFTWARE THAT CHURNS THROUGH THESE SINGLE CUSTOMER DATA FILES, and updates or deletes the linkages to the other data records. See the following article, page 13, footnote number 9. http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/papers/99/9922.pdf

The data probably remains, it just isn't linkable anymore to the original creditor data file. This article states that the software updates the linkages every 6 months. If the next update cycle is projected to ocur past the 7 years, then it updates the linkages and the BK no longer gets linked to that data file when the "credit report" is compiled.

Steve

7. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

That makes sense.

You must be in IT.

8. Brad J

Brad J Well-Known Member

EXP is well known for removing negative items at the 6yr9month date. Not sure about EFX or TU however.