Removing credit inquiries

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Nell, Dec 7, 2000.

1. Nell

Nell Guest

I currently have several inquiries on my equifax credit report. I also have a fraud protection statement on my equifax report from when my purse was stolen almost two years ago. The fraud alert says they must either contact me at work or home to verify that I submitted the application. My questions is, if a credit grantor pulls my report without contacting me concerning the fraud alert, can I challenge them to remove their inquiry?

2. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

Stupid question?

Don't they have to pull your credit report b4 they see the fraud alert?

How does that work?

I would contact each company that pulled your report and demand that they remove the inquiry because you did not give them permission to review your file.

Kelly

3. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

After re-reading that. It sounds like I was saying your question was stupid. I meant I have a stupid question about how fraud alerts and such work?

Thanks,
    Kelly

4. Nell

Nell Guest

Kelly:

I see where my questions might have been confusing. I should rephrase what I mean. I was led to belive that once a company contacts the credit reporting agency they are supposed to see the alert and contact me before they can access my file and process an application. I am trying to verify that this is the case. For example, if a credit application is mailed in or placed over the web and they don't contact me to find out if I am actually the person that made the application, then can I challenge the inquiry. The fraud notice on my CR says that "others may have identifying information about me."