removing joint holder?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by the other, Apr 13, 2001.

1. the other

the other Well-Known Member

My fiance has a Fleet credit card (his oldest line). It is joint with his mother.

Can he have his mother removed so that he account is in his name only?

2. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Usually they make you reapply for a new account. I would talk to them and see - if the account has always been in great shape, etc etc

3. the other

The account is seven years old. All his other account are 3 or less, so we would rather not lose the tradeline. The CRA's get confused because he is a junior and it is a joint account between him and his mom. At one point in time, his mom was even listed as his wife.

He doesn't want to keep the account with her as joint, but I am also afraid for him to lose his oldest line.

4. Brandon

Brandon Guest

If they are joint cardholders then they will not be able to remove her name they would have to close out the account. If he or she are just authorized users then they may be able to remove one of their names depending on who is the primary account holder.

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Actually, the banks usually don't mind doing this if both of you agree in writing and the balance is $0. The balance is the biggie. I had this done at a small bank card locally years ago.

6. Nestea

Nestea Well-Known Member

Re: Re: removing joint holder?

Any truth to this???

7. luckymom

luckymom Well-Known Member

Well, it must depend on the company. JCP said: send a legal document from you attorney (???) that says you will take full responsibility of the account, etc. Will only accept via US Mail - no fax.

8. jsever

jsever Well-Known Member

I once had a joint holder!

9. the other

This is what Fleet told us to do, so we did it. Then they sent us a letter stating that they could not remove a joint holder and suggested he close the account an reapply on his own.

Of course we won't do that, he needs to keep his oldest account open.

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

MERVYNS "WE NEED THE DIVORCE DECREE"
    NO DIVORCE!!!
    "SEPARATION PAPERS"
    NO SEPARATION!!!

"SORRY WE CAN'T REMOVE YOUR WIFE FROM YOUR JOINT ACCOUNT"

OK...CLOSE THE ACCOUNT!!! "FINE, IF YOUR SURE"

JC PENNEYS SAME SCENARIO...

In the early 80's I added her to ALL my accounts as a "JOINT"...later I wanted to get her some credit on her own...one credit card company suggested removing her from some accounts...I TRIED!!! I ended up closing like 5 accounts...because I could NOT get them to do what I wanted!!! AND IT SHOULD HAVE ABLE TO BE DONE!!! IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!