Removing Paid Collections

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Moore, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Moore

Moore Guest

Has anyone tried to have paid collections removed from their credit report? I realize technically they're supposed to stay for 7 years, but thought someone had luck having them removed, especially for small dollar amounts <$200.00. All help will be appreciated.

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

I have. I have disputed them and I've also asked the collection agencies to do them. It depends on who you get.

3. Moore

Moore Guest

Newcomer, what you're saying i

I should call the collection agency and plead my case. That, since it's such a small amount and it has been paid, they should remove it. Is this best done by phone or letter. Thanks for your help.

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

RE: Newcomer, what you're sayi

This can go one of several ways. I would start with the collections agency first (by phone) and ask that they remove the account. Avoid saying it's your fault if at all possible. I mean, don't start off with things like, since it's so small and paid. What worked for me was saying, I disputed the validity, but paid it so that it wouldn't hurt my credit. I am still disputing it, so would you remove it. But if you get a nice collections rep, they may be understanding and remove it because the amount is small. If going to the collections agency doesn't work. Try the original creditor, because they can instruct the collections agency to remove an entry. That worked for me as well. However, if none of these work, dispute it through the credit bureau. If they don't respond within thirty days, it will be removed anyway. I hope this helps:)