Rental Screening applications??????

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by venomized, Aug 6, 2003.

1. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Rental Screening applications??????

A "HARD" IS A "HARD"

AND THIS GARBAGE ABOUT 3 MORTGAGE/AUTO IS THE SAME AS ONE IN 30 DAYS IS GARBAGE!!!

3 "HARD" X 7 EACH = 21 POINT LOSS (MORTGAGE RE-FI)

AND WHEN THEY "B" I GOT 14 BACK...HOW NICE IS THAT A NET <LOSS> 7 POINTS!!!

2. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

This person is discussing getting a new place to stay. That is in essence a credit account. That person will be liable for rent to the landlord for x amount for x amount of time.

Diverging off to employment issues and whether or not they SHOULD be hards isn't the topic at hand.

You may not know my stances on credit, but I don't think a lot is correlated to credit..... but, Fair and legal are 2 different subjects. When someone posts they're ticked off about an inquiry and we look to see if it's legal and if there's any way to get it removed, I now forget about "Fair" and look for "legal or not"...

I also think it's silly to know you're going to get an inquiry ahead of time, do the action anyway, and then get ticked off because the inquiry did in fact show up... That's just not a productive use of time.

as for the:
    Should an inquiry for a mortgage or auto re-fi at a lower rate count against you?..

well, how will the computer know whether you're getting MORE credit or replacing it??? When you're applying for more credit you know you'll get hit with a hard if you apply. My strategy has been to negotiate with my current creditors for better terms... ARs at worst hit my reports. I have 1 hard inquiry in the last 2 years. I worked my way from junky cards to Platinum cards in 3 years... stayed with the same company and kept my account aging!

Changing around cards a lot will KILL your average account aging and keep your score artificially low anyway... in fact, that's likely to be a higher reason code than the inquiries...

I have in the last 2 years, completely lost my illusions that I will change the system. My irritation at it won't make the CRAs lose even 1 minute of sleep in the collective consciousness of its executives...

so what can I do?
    1. Play the game as well as I can
    2. Teach others to do the same
    3. Play hardball when it's warranted
    4. Have a life during the rest of the time and leave the soapbox at my grandmother's house

You can request that potential employers not pull credit unless you've decided both you and they agree you'd be a good fit.. so a job change equals only a minimally unfair 1 inquiry... You can ask them if you bring your own report in will they accept that and not hit you with an inquiry.. some will do that. Some landlords will also take your copy of your report (maybe they shouldn't legally, but some will)

I think people need to learn not to get angry, but to get creative. You can negotiate if someone can or can't pull your credit and when. If you don't give permission you then have a permissible purpose issue under the FCRA and can get the inquiry removed...

and honestly, if you're on a decent scorecard, inquiries won't hurt that much. If your scorecard is mediocre or sucks, you're going to have to talk your way into what you want because your report won't get you there anyway... and then the inquiry is the least of your worries.

You want inquiries to a minimum... then OPT OUT! There's evidence that those count against your score and it's something that you absolutely can control easily.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

You want inquiries to a minimum... then OPT OUT! There's evidence that those count against your score and it's something that you absolutely can control easily.

HUHH???

WHO TOLD YOU THAT???

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"IF" YOU WANT HELP WITH "B" DON'T OPT OUT!!!

5. sirrowan

sirrowan Well-Known Member

This guy, IMHO, had an ideal renter for his property before you and your friends ever came along.

I used to own a rental house.

If I had 4 young women who wanted to rent my house? I wouldn't do it (sorry!). I would've been afraid of all night parties where people trash the house and all that nonsense. Or them getting in an argument and someone moving out and then the others not being able to pay the rent, or they would break the lease without any concern for consequences.

That is probably why he didn't rent to you guys IMHO.

He knew your length of employment BEFORE he ran your credit report because it was on your application. He went through the motions, to give you the "fair and equal" chance to lease the property.

He posted it in the paper, IMHO, attempting to get the his ideal renters to apply, so he could say that he had others more qualified to rent the property than you and your friends.

Where I live, finding a rental home for 4 single young people would be next to impossible!

I do hope you get what you want. I'm sure that there will be someone out there that will be willing to rent to you and your friends.

Maybe at this point you could get him to agree to not verifying the inquiry?