reporting renewed judgment

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dave, Mar 18, 2001.

  1. dave

    dave Well-Known Member

    I checked my equifax report today which shows a satisfied small claims judgment entered in 1999. It is actually a judgment from 1990 that was renewed in 1999 but the report doesn't indicate that. Judgments in this state must be renewed every ten years to remain collectible and they can be renewed into perpetuity. Anybody know if the CRAs are allowed to report old judgments that have been renewed with the court? I don't see anything in the FCRA that addresses the issue. I would really like to get this off my report.
  2. breeze

    breeze Well-Known Member

    Paid judgments can only be reported for 7 yrs or until SOL has expired. Why would they renew a satisfied judgment? Doesn't make sense.

    I am dealing with this kind of thing also. I settled a dispute, and paid prior to the court date. The attorneys let it go to court anyway (a mistake they said), got a judgment in default *after* the debt was paid, and it is showing as an unpaid judgment on the court record. I didn't even know it until TU picked it up a few months ago (it was in 1995). I am suing the attorneys who did this.

  3. dave

    dave Well-Known Member

    The judgment was satisfied after it was renewed (both occurred in 1999). The problem I have with this being reported is that the judgment is now 11 years old and it is hurting my beacon score big time because it appears to be recent when it is not.

Share This Page