result of val ltr and a ?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marypc, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Recap: I had a final phone bill from Bell Atlantic, when I moved in 1999. Long story short, I never got the bill, and truthfully never went looking for it :) I see that BA sold the debt to Collectech, and its on my credit report. I sent a validation letter, and I got a letter back from COllectech dated 4/9/01 saying that "in accordance with FCRA, we have sent your dispute back to Bell Atlantic and await their response. All collection activity will cease until we hear from them." (This is a paraphrase, dont have the letter in front of me.)

My question: Should I now pay the balance due, and hope that Bell Atlantic closes the matter once and for all, and Collectech removes the entry.

It's a $142.00 bill, and I can afford to pay it. I just want the entry off my report. I'm not so concerned about getting out of the debt, and I dont want Bell Atlantic to turn around and sell it to another CA later on.

Opinions? (I have done this successfully with a cable company and an old medical bill, all debts that were mine, and I was glad they were gone once and for all.)

I havent heard back from Bell Atlantic since then, so I am wondering if that means a)they cant provide the validation info and therefore have to delete it, or b) they are searching for something to prove the debt and it is taking this long to find it.

Thanks guys.

2. Saar

Saar Banned

Depends on who you ask. The Lizard, for one, would never tell you to pay them :)

If, for any reason, you choose to pay Bell Atlantic, make sure to endorse the check:

"This payment is made in goodwill, and does not imply acknowledgement of any debt".

Keep a copy of the endorsed check.

Saar

3. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Good Evening Saar :)
    Thank you for responding. My real query here is whether or not I have waited too long to send in the payment. You see, the letter from Collectech was sent to a former address (my Moms house,where I was staying in between apts and where that final bill undoubtedly got lost.) She just sent it on to me now, so I am thinking that if I have alerted Bell and Collectech that I am disputing the debt, and I pay it now, 2weeks later, they may already have sent something out to validate.

Therefore, I have paid the bill and the item remains on my credit reports. This strategy normally never fails me, but I do usually send the letter and then immediately make the payment. Here, I have this 2 week lapse.

While we are here, Saar, I am also wondering about validation for accounts like phone bills. The concept behind valdiation states that the creditor must supply a signature, contract, etc. I have never signed a contract for a utility, and I dont know anyone who has. Do you think that the principle of a signature as validation applies when commonly accepted practice is that no signature is needed for a service? Im just thinking out loud here, would like to hear your opinion..

Mary

4. Saar

Saar Banned

This is NOT, by the way, what is commonly referred to as "restrictive endorsement" (RE).

RE is when you pay on condition that the creditor waives some on his rights.

This, however, does not restrict the creditor's rights, it only eliminates the possibility of the check per se being construed as an acknowledgement of debt.

Saar

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Evening, Marypc :)

I don't believe they have to produce a signature, except that without it, proving the existence of a contract would be difficult. There are other ways to prove it though.

For example, if it's a credit card and they can prove you used it, you acknowledged acceptance of the terms by the mere use of it.

Saar

6. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Marypc, I am dealing with the exact same thing. I had a phone bill from Bell Atlantic, I moved and never received the final bill. I have an entry on my credit report from Collectech also. I sent them a validation letter certified today. Let me know how things turn out for you, and I will do the same.

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Sounds familiar.

Bell Atlantic & Collectech. Oh that sounds so familiar. I got my collection off the report in 5/00.

roni

8. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Re: Sounds familiar.

Hello Roni!
    Well now, come on, you know Im gonna ask you how you did it! I sent letters to all sorts of managers over there, went thru planetfeedback, etc, nobody would budge. Collectech kept telling me it was on BA to remove it., BA wouldnt talk to me.

Is this the situation you described in an earlier thread, when you described how you told the rep there that you had a roommate problem and couldnt help what happened? Was it BA or Collectech that finally removed it?

PS will never be able to thank you enough for your help with Arrow Financial, when you responded to my post on another board. They are gone for good!

9. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Re: Sounds familiar.

I am glad to hear about arrow financial.

Also, I spoke with a manager at Bell Atlantic. I posted the story last night.

roni