reversing charges

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Kristin, Mar 17, 2000.

1. Kristin

Kristin Guest

When a buyer wants to not pay for an item for whatever reason, what is the process? How does the seller get their merchandise back or get payment?
    Thanks!

2. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

You are going to have to be more specific. Is this a case where the merchant will not take back the merchandise? Was the merchandise defective? Was there a contract regarding the sale? What was the venue of the sale? Retail store? Web site? Auction? Want ad in the paper? Was a credit card used for the purchase? A check? Cash?

Each situation has a different set of legal protections associated with them.

3. CardReport

CardReport Guest

It depends on the exact circumstances. Read the back of your credit card statement for information on disputing charges. There is a sixy-day time limit for this and it *must* be done *in writing* (don't believe and phone-rep who tells you otherwise.)

If there was some problem with misrepresentation by the merchant, or excessively poor quality, then you should bring up a dispute with their parent company, if possible. If you simply bought something and later decided that you didn't really want it, then you may not have much recourse - some retailers have strict limitations on returns/refunds. They don't necessarily *have* to take the merchandise back or "forgive" the sale.

If you haven't disputed the transaction with the credit card issuer, then the merchant will already have the money within a few days.

http://www.cardreport.com

4. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

My husband booked a flight for me and my friend. He was just checking prices and put the wrong friends name on one of the tickets. I haven't even asked this friend to go. I t was suppose to be someone else. Am I now stuck with this ticket? They won't change the name on it. Can I stop payment on these tickets and buy another one elsewhere? Or are there going to be legal issues involved if I do? Please reply. Thank you.